AutoPOP - Earthlink Known Spam

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by baumjwb » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:02 pm
I have some questions about AutoPOP and graymail

1) Is "graymail" what Earthlink called "known spam" on my old account?

2) Is there a more detailed explanation of how mail becomes "gray mail" and how to avoid mail I want from being 'painted gray?'

2) Earthlink's spam filter regularly put desired mail into "known spam" and I had to move it to the inbox. Do I need to check for "known spam" and move messages to my Inbox so that they will be forwarded to my Sonic mailbox?

thanks

baumgrenze
by dct » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:57 am
Hey there,

Email that comes in through our servers is assigned a numeric value based on the content and general makeup of the messages by our spam filtering software SpamAssassin. Identifying characteristics that are common in spam, such as mentioning large transactions, pharmaceutical sales, and pleas from princes in far off lands are all assigned a higher numeric value. Once a messages value exceeds that threshold (by default it is set to 5), it will be diverted to your Graymail folder.

Once a message has been set aside for you in Graymail, you can choose to accept or reject this message at your own discretion by logging into our Membertools, https://members.sonic.net

You can also block this sender from reaching you again, also known as Blacklisting, or even tell our system to automatically accept messages from the sender, known as Whitelisting. Once logged into membertools, you can whitelist or blacklist an address by going to Email -> Spam Filtering -> Whitelists/Blacklists.

Additionally, You can also increase your Graymail threshold, but this is typically not advisable, as our system does a great job of filtering good messages from bad, and often times this will only incur receiving more unwanted email.

That being said, I check my spam folder regularly just to make sure nothing is amiss.
Dan T.
Community & Escalations Manager
707-547-3400
@Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1