Actiontec GT784WN connection problems

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by cicikerr » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:05 am
We just switched to Sonic and brought our own Actiontec GT784WN. I'm having trouble getting it to connect to Sonic.

The modem/router boots just fine but cannot connect to Sonic - the DSL light continues to blink. I have searched the forums and google for possible problems, but everything seems to be configured correctly. Our Pace modem from Sonic works just fine on the same line.

Any thoughts or stories from other users who have experience with the Actiontec GT784WN?

Thanks
Joe
by parker_day » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:56 am
What type service do you have from Sonic? A hint might be the model of the Pace modem they sent you.
by cicikerr » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:56 am
Ours is the Pace 5268AC - VDSL.

I wonder if that is the problem, that the Actiontec only supports up to ADSL2+?
by parker_day » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:17 pm
cicikerr wrote:Ours is the Pace 5268AC - VDSL.

I wonder if that is the problem, that the Actiontec only supports up to ADSL2+?
Yep - that's the problem. You'll need a VDSL2 compatible modem. If you have x2 service, you'll also need a modem that supports bonding. Bonding is really difficult to find, but VDSL isn't too tough.
by lwomack » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:35 pm
Technically an ADSL2+ modem will work, it is backwards compatible. The trouble your experiencing is your Actiontec does not support PTM (Packet Transfer Mode). It uses ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode). If you were to procure an ADSL2+ modem that uses PTM it should work on your circuit. That being said, since your getting a new modem anyway - why not buy a VDSL modem and take advantage of the faster speeds?
5 posts Page 1 of 1