U-Verse blocking internet?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:16 pm
Sonic support told me that with AT&T U-Verse, they install something that blocks other providers DSL service - they need to call a tech out to remove it, but one's not available until Tuesday, so I'm wondering if I'm crafty, can I just find this thing and take it out or rewire it myself? Does anybody know about this? Even some search terms would be helpful, because I have no idea where to start looking, at the moment. I got the impression it was in the MPOE/Phone box, but not sure if that is accurate or not.
by Neil » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:15 pm
Guest wrote:Sonic support told me that with AT&T U-Verse, they install something that blocks other providers DSL service - they need to call a tech out to remove it, but one's not available until Tuesday, so I'm wondering if I'm crafty, can I just find this thing and take it out or rewire it myself? Does anybody know about this? Even some search terms would be helpful, because I have no idea where to start looking, at the moment. I got the impression it was in the MPOE/Phone box, but not sure if that is accurate or not.
I'm shooting from the hip here, but I think the issue is U-verse and DSL use the same frequency spectrum on your wire pair. When you have POTS plus DSL (technically ADSL1), the frequencies below 3 kilohertz are used for the voice channel, the frequencies above 3 khz is the data, and all those DSL filters keep the one from intruding on the other. U-verse uses the entire wire pair for data, and then they intermix your phone service via VoIP technology with the other data services on the line, video and broadband. That's why you can't have Sonic (or anyone else's) DSL on the same physical pair of wires as U-verse, because the two use the same electronic real estate on the wires, though in different ways. Though if AT&T installed a second, separate wire pair, then one pair could run U-verse while the other continues supporting POTS + DSL.
by Guest » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:47 pm
Ok, so I am not so lucky as to have a situation where it's just a little plastic thingamabob that needs to be pulled out. Most of this went over my head. Thanks for the response - you are kind for humoring me!
3 posts Page 1 of 1