Replacement dual link bonded modem/router?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by musicalfruit » Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 pm
Hi,

A friend's Comtrend 5631 just died.

Doesn't power on. Check the wall-wart and it appears to be supplying power.

Should he just buy another one or is there another bonded modem/router that he should get instead?

Thanks!

Edit: Found this thread so I'm going through it now.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2649
by musicalfruit » Thu May 28, 2015 3:18 pm
Just went through that thread and it sounds like Sonic really wants you to rent a modem. :)

I guess getting another Comtrend 5631 is going to be the cheapest solution since the Pace 5168 is kinda pricey.
by Guest » Fri May 29, 2015 2:45 am
musicalfruit wrote:Just went through that thread and it sounds like Sonic really wants you to rent a modem. :)

I guess getting another Comtrend 5631 is going to be the cheapest solution since the Pace 5168 is kinda pricey.
It depends how you tested the wall-wart. Sometimes they have good amperage if there's no load but go out of spec when under load. Best to use another supply, preferably one that's not a wall-wart. A lot of these devices also show obvious failures from their under-specced capacitors. Just open the existing router up and take a look.
by nickijon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:12 pm
OP, if your friend is interested, I have a perfect condition P663HN-51 that might interest them. I believe this is one of the more or most recent models that Sonic is issuing for bonded Fusion. Sonic gave me the authorization to do whatever I want with it when we switched to the resold FTTN. What better way than to help out another Sonic user?

https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Zyxel_P-663HN-51

Feel free to send me a message if interested. I am located in the east bay area. Maybe we can work something out!
by musicalfruit » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:29 am
Thanks for the offer but we ended up buying a replacement from eBay.
5 posts Page 1 of 1