Big margin of error in distance in pre-qual tool?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by nxrick » Tue May 26, 2015 3:50 pm
Hi everyone, I have been a sonic customer in San Carlos for about 2 years with their fusion service and like everyone else, I was hoping for more speed without additional cost with the new VDSL service. According to the pre-qualification tool on Sonic's website, I am at 4839 feet away from CO so that makes me ineligible for VDSL. What's interesting is that when I use my neighbor's address that is 200 feet away from me (closer to the CO), the tool shows that it's only 1800 feet away from CO. I can't understand why such a big difference and am I really 4839 feet away from CO or is the neighbor's address is really 1800 feet away from CO? In addition, it looks like the Sonic hasn't upgraded that CO with VDSL equipment yet as there's no VDSL service offer with my neighbor's address. I have even attempted to use an address that's less than 700 ft away from CO but no VDSL service either. When will Sonic upgrade to VDSL at that particular CO? Am I truly too far away for a VDSL? Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
by netllama » Sat May 30, 2015 8:04 pm
In my experience there's a lot of error in the distance data that Sonic has been provided. I was originally qualified for 45Mb/s FTTN based on Sonic's website qualification report. But when AT&T actually came out to perform the installation they told me that Sonic's information was off by several *thousand* feet, and all they could get me was about half the speed that Sonic had sold me.

I understand that Sonic is getting their data from some other party (AT&T?), but I have to wonder how often the data is erroneous.
by kgc » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:25 am
netllama wrote:In my experience there's a lot of error in the distance data that Sonic has been provided. I was originally qualified for 45Mb/s FTTN based on Sonic's website qualification report. But when AT&T actually came out to perform the installation they told me that Sonic's information was off by several *thousand* feet, and all they could get me was about half the speed that Sonic had sold me.
Just to be clear, that means AT&T's information was off, not ours. Our qualification procedure for Fusion and Fusion FTTN depends on several AT&T APIs. In the case of the FTTN product, the AT&T API only returns the speeds available.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by allenk » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:49 am
So is there anything that can be rechecked? I, too, am away (as the crow flies) about 400-500 feet from a home that Sonic states can get "up to 20mbps".
by kgc » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:12 pm
If you have reason to believe that the qual results are wrong on our website call ask our sales guys to take a look at it. They are able to see a bit more information and can help figure out if there are inconsistencies in AT&T's data or if there is a problem looking up your address.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by nxrick » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:46 pm
It sounds like such margin of error does exist and most likely comes from AT&T, I think I might have to accept the fact that I am just not close enough for VDSL. Again, thank you for the insights and useful information. Keep up the good work Sonic!
6 posts Page 1 of 1