FTTN cheaper than ASDL2+ Fusion in SF?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Sat May 09, 2015 4:02 pm
I see that my parents, who are on ASDL2+ Fusion, are eligible for FTTN at an estimated monthly cost of $55.16. I checked my own address and see that I am not eligible for FTTN, but the estimated monthly cost for the service that I currently receive is $59.41 (we both pay ~$53 because we own our modems).

Is it true that the FTTN offering is cheaper than the ASDL2+ offering in SF, when equipment rental is considered? I ask because the incremental cost of switching to FTTN for my parents (who don't currently rent equipment) looks like a mere ~$2-$3/mo, despite reports of a $6.50 ATA rental fee on top of the $6.50 modem rental fee.

If this is the case, I suppose it has to do with VOIP service being subject to fewer taxes? Regardless, $2-$3 more a month for three times the speed is a no-brainer.
by Guest » Sat May 09, 2015 5:45 pm
Guest wrote:I see that my parents, who are on ASDL2+ Fusion, are eligible for FTTN at an estimated monthly cost of $55.16. I checked my own address and see that I am not eligible for FTTN, but the estimated monthly cost for the service that I currently receive is $59.41 (we both pay ~$53 because we own our modems).

Is it true that the FTTN offering is cheaper than the ASDL2+ offering in SF, when equipment rental is considered? I ask because the incremental cost of switching to FTTN for my parents (who don't currently rent equipment) looks like a mere ~$2-$3/mo, despite reports of a $6.50 ATA rental fee on top of the $6.50 modem rental fee.

If this is the case, I suppose it has to do with VOIP service being subject to fewer taxes? Regardless, $2-$3 more a month for three times the speed is a no-brainer.
My first Sonic bill for FTTN came the other day. Except for the Federal Subscriber Line Charge (the "SLC," as the FCC calls it), it has the same taxes and fees as my previous AT&T POTS bill. The SLC seems to be a mandate on POTS, not VoIP, or at least on CLECs like AT&T or Verizon. Unless this is an oversight by Sonic, that alone drops the cost by $4.41 a month, compared to my last AT&T bill.
by mjcunnin » Thu May 28, 2015 11:46 am
Can you give some more details on your FTTN bill? For ADSL2+ Fusion, I currently pay $40 + $12 taxes + $6.50 modem rental. I understand that FTTN incurs an additional $6.50 ATA rental fee. Should I expect that FTTN would cost $6.50 more in total?
by Guest » Thu May 28, 2015 2:07 pm
mjcunnin wrote:Can you give some more details on your FTTN bill? For ADSL2+ Fusion, I currently pay $40 + $12 taxes + $6.50 modem rental. I understand that FTTN incurs an additional $6.50 ATA rental fee. Should I expect that FTTN would cost $6.50 more in total?
No, my FTTN bill's combined rental (gateway and ATA) and telephone fees is $16.
4 posts Page 1 of 1