FTTN NVG589 high pitch whine

General discussions and other topics.
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by rtrinh » Sat May 09, 2015 2:55 am
Can anyone else with the NVG589 RG is emitting a high pitch whine like it has bad capacitors? This is brand new so I'm wondering if it's just me or possibly a batch.

I didn't notice it until a few hours after the tech left to have him swap to a different unit. And while I thought I could just ignore it, I just can't knowing it is producing that sound.
by Guest » Sat May 09, 2015 3:18 pm
rtrinh wrote:Can anyone else with the NVG589 RG is emitting a high pitch whine like it has bad capacitors? This is brand new so I'm wondering if it's just me or possibly a batch
Maybe it's the coils in the power supply. Unplug the gateway but not power and see if the whine is still there.
by rtrinh » Sat May 09, 2015 11:16 pm
Nah it's not the power supply adapter. I can definitely hear it coming from the RG. Moving the RG around the whine will follow it too.
by Guest » Wed May 13, 2015 5:59 pm
rtrinh wrote:Nah it's not the power supply adapter. I can definitely hear it coming from the RG. Moving the RG around the whine will follow it too.
I've experienced the whines on older tube televisions. They manifested because of some resonance in their HV transformers. Maybe this is the same thing but on a solid state device inside the gateway. Unless you get random resets, it's probably not a bad component.
by rtrinh » Fri May 15, 2015 3:00 am
Guest wrote: I've experienced the whines on older tube televisions. They manifested because of some resonance in their HV transformers. Maybe this is the same thing but on a solid state device inside the gateway. Unless you get random resets, it's probably not a bad component.
Yeah I've similarly experience noise show up from laptop and phone AC adapters that are left plugged into the wall but not connected to the device and they work fine too.

But other than the noise yep there hasn't been any issues with the RG.
by boogyman » Thu May 28, 2015 7:35 am
I had the same gateway installed yesterday, and also notice the high pitch frequency coming from the gateway. I tried to search around, but only came across this post.
by rtrinh » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:04 pm
boogyman wrote:I had the same gateway installed yesterday, and also notice the high pitch frequency coming from the gateway. I tried to search around, but only came across this post.
Well that's a bummer to hear that it's not just me. I've pretty much gotten used to it but every so often I'll pick it out when it's really quiet. I got an aquarium in the room so the powerhead helps drown out the sound.

Other than seeing if we could get it replaced is to just place it away if you're sitting nearby it.
by Guest » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:26 am
I just got a new NVG589 for my AT&T U-verse and it has the whine as well. Very annoying.
by rtrinh » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:24 pm
by Ryan Williams » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:24 pm
I'm finally free of the high-pitched noise! The modems have a date printed on the side of them. My original NVG589 was from May 2015 and it made the noise. They sent me a replacement modem (same model) from Dec 2014 and it also made the noise. Finally, a technician came by. He had a refurbished modem (again, NVG589) from Feb 2013 and it *doesn't* make the noise! (Actually, it seems to make the noise extremely quietly, but the important thing is that I can't hear it unless I put my ear right up next to it, whereas I could hear the other one from down the hall!) So this appears to be a problem that affects NVG589 modems made between Dec 2014 and now, possibly going back as far as March 2013 (but the cutoff date is not clear).

Here's my video of the noise coming out of the NVG589, if anyone's interested: https://youtu.be/SN1sx2uv_Bs
11 posts Page 1 of 2