Fusion x2 not available for potential VDSL2 customers

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
83 posts Page 1 of 9
by pluckytree » Fri May 08, 2015 11:08 am
I called in yesterday to upgrade my service to Fusion x2 and was told that because I'm close to the CO, and hence a potential VDSL2 customer, Sonic won't allow me to upgrade at this time. Apparently the concern is that I'll find VDSL2 to be so much faster once it rolls out that I'll cancel my x2 service and that would cost Sonic a bunch of money (despite the 1 year contract commitment). :cry:

Hopefully this means that VDSL2 is right around the corner if Sonic is outright refusing to let me pay them more money :mrgreen:

Is there any more firm date for the VDSL2 rollout to Mountain View downtown CO at 305 Hope St? Prequal says I'm 2528 feet away.
by dane » Fri May 08, 2015 4:22 pm
We are doing beta migrations of some customers now. I've emailed your Sonic account to invite you.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pockyken007 » Fri May 08, 2015 4:51 pm
Hey Dane would it be possible to get on that list as well when it will be about FTTN service
by sseverson » Sat May 09, 2015 1:25 pm
Dane, I've understood that we should wait for VDSL2 first before doing the x2 upgrade from previous threads. Any chance I can do a beta migration as well? Petaluma CA (3159 feet from the CO). Thanks,
Scott
by jessicachen » Wed May 13, 2015 5:00 pm
Dane, could I get an invite if my CO box is ready? I'm 3360 feet from my co box (SNVACA01). I wanted to switch to Fusion x2 for the faster speed when it was available, but I was told I wouldn't be allowed to upgrade as well. Thanks!
by dane » Thu May 14, 2015 10:29 pm
For those within 4,000ft of their local CO, ADSL2+ to VDSL2 migration upgrades are available now. Thanks to staff and members who helped us with our beta rounds.

So this means all available upgrades are now possible. There is an available upgrade for every Fusion circuit, V2, X2 and FTTN. We are working on a self-service tool for our Members portal which will let you avoid calling in, but for now all of these are available via phone. Click for a call: http://sonic.net/support/cba
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Sonic customer » Fri May 15, 2015 2:17 pm
Thank you for the update Dane! I really look forward to this upgrade. I recall you mentioned about an installation fee as well as a new modem/router. Any idea on how much everything will cost before taxes? Going to upgrade regardless once I get my finances sorted out in the next couple days hopefully.
by pluckytree » Sat May 16, 2015 12:49 pm
(OP here)

Thanks Dane and company for the quick turnaround on the upgrade! The new modem arrived on Wednesday and the VDSL2 switchover happened at about 9am yesterday (Friday).

Our connection went from 12 down, 2.5 up with ADSL2+ (with Annex M), to 39 down, 7 up with VDSL2 (without Annex M).

Our new bill says the modem rental is an additional $13/mo as expected, but no other new charges as promised.

Another satisfied Sonic customer :)
by dane » Sat May 16, 2015 2:15 pm
Hmm, the equipment fee should be $9.50. We will look into that and get it fixed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pluckytree » Sat May 16, 2015 2:20 pm
Oh, $9.50 is much better :)

I couldn't remember what the charge was supposed to be. Thanks for getting that fixed!
83 posts Page 1 of 9