FTTN and FTTN x2 u[stream speeds

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Tue May 05, 2015 3:44 am
Just a question, what are the upstream speeds for the FTTN and FTTN x2 products and what did people actually get when they install as I noticed people got more than the advertised downstream.
by dc01hxx42 » Tue May 05, 2015 6:42 am
Guest wrote:Just a question, what are the upstream speeds for the FTTN and FTTN x2 products and what did people actually get when they install as I noticed people got more than the advertised downstream.

I went from single to bonded over the course of my upgrade, on single 18mbps, I was pulling 23 down and 2 up, and on x2/bonded I am pulling 50 down and 6 up. I am somewhere between 1900 and 2000 ft presumably from the vrad. I get around 34ms ping average from central cal to sf on dsl reports.
by hhwong » Tue May 05, 2015 8:55 am
Guest wrote:Just a question, what are the upstream speeds for the FTTN and FTTN x2 products and what did people actually get when they install as I noticed people got more than the advertised downstream.
I have FTTNx2, and I'm getting a hair under 5 upstream (and 50 downstream).
by leeep » Tue May 05, 2015 1:23 pm
Ookla Speedtest isn't 100% accurate, but when I ran a quick test on my parents' new FTTN install yesterday, it was approx. 23Mbps down, 2Mbps up.

Obviously, this is a huge improvement over their former 1.5Mbps down/1Mbps up on legacy AT&T DSL behind a remote terminal, which was the only available service other than Comcast for internet.

I can do more detailed tests next time I'm over there with other utilities like TestMy.net and such. Some other friends in other areas on AT&T hosted FTTN services report that their performance is dependent on time of day, with respect to how busy their local neighborhood node is, so YMMV. In my parents' case, the install techs had to climb the pole to set things up for them, so there likely aren't many customers on the local node (yet). I suspect that since FTTN roll-out in their area is relatively new, most people are most likely using Comcast as their ISP.
---
...on Sonic.net since 2011...
by Guest » Tue May 05, 2015 3:00 pm
Reason I asked was I noticed sonic.net pages only tells you what the download speeds are and not the upload speeds. So basically, it should be the same as the standard UVerse 18Mbps and 45Mbps options. Legacy DSL even 6MBps is 768kbps max, it used to be 608kbps, whether CO or RT based.
5 posts Page 1 of 1