ETA for VDSL2 in Berkeley?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
33 posts Page 1 of 4
by karinmoore » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:26 am
Is there an ETA for VDSL2 in Berkeley (94703)?

Also, what kind of speeds might I expect with VDSL2? I'm 3922 feet from the CO, and with regular old Fusion I'm getting 11 down and 1 up.
by thulsa_doom » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:39 pm
Upgrading from an existing Fusion ADSL2+ circuits to VDSL2 is a process we're currently developing. We have no firm ETA on this just yet, but it's on the very near end of "soon."
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by torstenb » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:43 pm
thulsa_doom wrote:[...] it's on the very near end of "soon."
What does that even mean? I don't know why you and Dane would even comment in such way? You are hoping that customers won't switch by stating something in such a way that the customer would preferably interpret the answers in a way that is equal to his ideal world, while at the same time you are not committing to anything. It's this very approach - "soon", "very soon", how soon? "very, very soon!" - that is making me revisit the whole idea of switching providers.

You are doing such a great job in every other category, I would urge you to rethink your approach to answering such inquiries. Or you may drive customers and prospective customers to your competition. And that could happen, at least for me, - wait for it... - wait for it... - soon!
by oddhack » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:47 pm
torstenb wrote:
thulsa_doom wrote:[...] it's on the very near end of "soon."
What does that even mean?
I'm pretty sure it means that they're working hard on it, but have no firm idea how long it will take (like any IT project but with added legal and regulatory and cross-vendor issues to boot).

That does not make Sonic's failure to deliver higher speeds any less frustrating to customers, nor give us any reason not to look at other options since they've been saying "soon" for 3-4 years now (WRT different technologies), but I understand why they're saying what they're saying. It's all they can do at this point.
by kgc » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:51 pm
Neither Dane, John or myself know when we'll be ready, but Very Soon Now is the right answer. The automation workflows for ADSL2+ to VDSL2 migrations went into beta testing today with employee circuits. Once a handful have run through and the obvious issues have been resolved we'll announce that the upgrade process that can be kicked off by calling support. We expect that a few weeks after this to have a membertool that will consider your current service and what the best option is to improve your current performance.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by dane » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:55 pm
We could put through a few customers in this early beta round, but it could be very bumpy, and potentially service affecting. Anyone up for it?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by parker_day » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:42 am
dane wrote:We could put through a few customers in this early beta round, but it could be very bumpy, and potentially service affecting. Anyone up for it?
From ADSL2+ to VDSL2? I'm more than up for it, even if there are hiccups, especially if it helps Sonic work through the process. However, I'm in SF served by the McCoppin CO @ ~1000ft. I'm not sure if you're just looking for Berkeley CO served testers.
by dkenglish7 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:44 am
dane wrote:We could put through a few customers in this early beta round, but it could be very bumpy, and potentially service affecting. Anyone up for it?
Sure, bring it on. I'm in Oakland (not Berkeley), but today the availability tool seems to suggest I am in a VDSL2 zone ("up to 30MBS for one line, 60MBS for 2 lines") at 2631 feet from the CO. And my house is served by 3 pairs so we have lots of copper to work with.
by dcavalca » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:18 am
Happy to be a guinea pig for VDSL2 as well. I'm in SF in 94110 and the tool puts me at 2359 ft from the CO. Also, I already have my own VDSL2 modem, so I won't need the CPE rental (but happy to keep it on for a few weeks if it can help you get useful metrics).
by dane » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:00 pm
Okay, we have four staff going through the transition now, once those are complete we will kick off a few beta customers. Thank you!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
33 posts Page 1 of 4