"It's time to upgrade your modem!" To FTTN, I hope?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by chucko » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:27 pm
I just got email offering to switch out my Sonic-provided (bought and paid for) DSL modem/hub/router/wireless box for a newer box, which would be a rental. While I am no fan of the ZTE box - which IMHO is an almost undocumented piece of crap - I'm not interested in paying monthly rent for a new modem, unless it comes with a significant increase in speed. We're 3 wire-pair miles from the CO, and our DSL speed is pretty slow.

There's an AT&T RT (or whatever the box is called) about six blocks from my house (zip 94085, north Sunnyvale). Sonic, are you telling me that we're finally getting a speed upgrade? Please?!
by Guest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:57 pm
I got one, too. But I doubt it means FTTN is ready/getting ready. I think it's just an ad from Sonic. A better gauge is if you get an email that indicates your line will be disconnected if you don't migrate as per this post. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2667
by Mike » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:49 am
Yup, looks like Sonic spam. Got one too.

This might be the final straw for me, $50/month for a 105Mbps connection from Comcast does not sound so horrible anymore, even though it's Comcast. $40 for 5Mbps doesn't seem to cut it anymore.
by nickijon » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:46 pm
Guest wrote:I got one, too. But I doubt it means FTTN is ready/getting ready. ...
Why would you doubt that FTTN is ready?
Mike wrote:Yup, looks like Sonic spam. Got one too.

This might be the final straw for me, $50/month for a 105Mbps connection from Comcast does not sound so horrible anymore, even though it's Comcast. $40 for 5Mbps doesn't seem to cut it anymore.
If everyone in your complex or neighborhood is running Comcast at '105mbps', is your connection still reliably fast? Anecdotally speaking, I was at an in-law's apartment in San Jose on a Saturday and watched downstream/upstream bounce all over the place. They were supposedly on a high speed plan with Comcast. I can't imagine what a busy weeknight in their complex would spell for their connection. Curious if a FTTN connection prevent this neighborhood use bottleneck (ie. is it a dedicated connection?).
by Guest » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:35 pm
nickijon wrote:
Guest wrote:I got one, too. But I doubt it means FTTN is ready/getting ready. ...
Why would you doubt that FTTN is ready?
If it's ready I expect the email to say something like "New connectivity infrastructure just came online that will be faster than what you have today. Benefits are..." Instead the email just said to the effect "Upgrade your modem. Here are the benefits to getting a rented modem..." Pretty clear to me what it's saying. Why do you think the email suggests FTTN is ready for its recipients?
by chucko » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:17 pm
Guest wrote:Why do you think the email suggests FTTN is ready for its recipients?
I have hopes of being able to get adequate speed from Sonic, so I can tell The Worst Company In America to take their cable and shove it where the sun don't shine. I'm disappointed that Sonic only has a new rented modem to offer at this time.
by Mike » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:57 pm
hope and delusion are often synonymous :)

It's funny Sonic's business plan is to use existing sonic customer adoption rates to decide where to roll out fiber service, I think people should leave sonic to said "worst company in America" to basically tell them the same thing "I want faster speeds than what adsl service can give me, I'm willing to sign up to the worst company in America and pay more than fusion service to get faster internet service"
by digitalbitstream » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:25 am
Mike wrote:hope and delusion are often synonymous :)
It's funny Sonic's business plan is to use existing sonic customer adoption rates to decide where to roll out fiber service
It's a weird policy.

Places were Sonic service is poor, thus Sonic adoption rates are low, seem far more fertile ground for expansion.
The modem rental policy is also a barrier to anything Sonic.
8 posts Page 1 of 1