Sonic Gig Services GPON or Pt to Pt Ethernet?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:44 pm
Does anyone know which technology sonic uses to provide gig services? I know GPON is oversubscribed but pt to pt Ethernet is not. Just curious. Also if anyone on gig services can relate their experience and whether they have experienced latency or congestion. Much appreciated.
by Guest » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:26 am
Guest wrote:Does anyone know which technology sonic uses to provide gig services? I know GPON is oversubscribed but pt to pt Ethernet is not. Just curious. Also if anyone on gig services can relate their experience and whether they have experienced latency or congestion. Much appreciated.
Dane has stated they use GPON.
by Poningru/anon » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:13 pm
Hello someone with knowledge of Comcast network comment on this? My understanding was that they use DOCSIS over Ethernet when they go from copper to fiber but I had read somewhere that they might be using GPON instead of EPON.
by dane » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:12 am
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Does anyone know which technology sonic uses to provide gig services? I know GPON is oversubscribed but pt to pt Ethernet is not. Just curious. Also if anyone on gig services can relate their experience and whether they have experienced latency or congestion. Much appreciated.
Dane has stated they use GPON.
Residential Gigabit service is GPON today, while our Fiber-to-the-business Gigabit service is active Ethernet. Looking into the future, I'd anticipate business services on GPON eventually, and then eventually everything moving XG-PON as that technology reached maturity.

Learn more here: http://www.ftthcouncil.eu/documents/Pub ... r_2014.pdf
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1