My Internet is frequetly disconnected and then reconnected

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 1 of 2
by ivan0629 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:07 pm
I am a new customer of Sonic since the beginning of 2015, it has been a month using sonic as my internet provider. However, it is so fustrating because my internet is frequently disconnected and reconnected from the first day I had this service. I have tried to call the technicians infinite times and the technicians began to remember by user name with the issue already. I have a technician fixed the issue in my house and they also send an AT&T technician to come also. However, the result shows there could be multiple problem or could be no problem at all. Neither of them found the cause of this issue. To be honest, I am a gamer who really cares about the quality of internet connection. In this case, I would say it isn't just a problem to a gamer but to anyone who is surfing the interent. After I keep calling the technician, they are trying to help me with replacing my modem and changing the port of my internet's host. After all these, the frequently disconnected problem is still exsit and never solved. Seriously, I have paid for this month's services but I have never used the services for a week in this month.

FYI, the model of the modem i am using is 4111N-030, the issue is frequently disconnected and then reconnected. The signal is service light turn off, boardband light keeps flashing, reconnect to the internet after a couple of minutes. then the service light is flashing again but not normally flashing, the frequency it flash is strange sometimes. Also, everytime after the router reconnect, the speed of both downstream and upstream is changed.
by virtualmike » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:35 pm
It sounds like your modem is retraining frequently, perhaps due to noise on the phone line. You should point this out to the techs at 611.
by kevingtan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:33 am
I am also running into the same issue and I have a DM111PSPv2, however, when I went to best buy; this was the only cheapest ADSL2+ modem in stock.

Does anybody know what may be causing the issues with grabbing a dynamic IP address from sonic's servers?
by channel007 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:06 pm
Not sure if this helps but you could try calling tech support, explain your issue, and have them cap your speeds at say 95% of what they are today.
by tabacco » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:14 pm
Yeah I've been having the same issue as long as I've been a customer. Every time I call support they lower my sync cap and it doesn't help, so I've just stopped calling so I can still maintain a reasonable speed when it is working.
by ivan0629 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:55 pm
I already asked the technician to cap my speed as low as 2Mbps down and 0.6Mbps up. After this, the issue happens less but is it the only way to fix it? Because I have pay for 100% and using like 20% of the services.
by Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:30 pm
It could be a faulty modem or a noisy line. If you're able to do so, you could try plugging the modem into the NID directly to see if it's the wiring in the house. If technicians had visited however, I would guess that the wiring/outlet/filter would've been checked. Depending on where you live, the copper going into the house could be really old, or you could be very far from the CO. I have a friend who couldn't get more than 3Mbps with any stability because the copper coming into the house was so old. He was sure it was the incoming copper because he had rewired the whole house, but he also tested at the NID. All that could be done was cap the connection to maintain a stable connection.
by tabacco » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:41 am
In my case I'm 100% sure it's the copper from the NID to the jack. It's all easily accessible outside the building, but since it's a multistory unit, Sonic can't replace the wiring and my landlord doesn't care to (since the phone jack is 'working' to the legal definition). So yeah, my options are pretty much to cap it to the point of uselessness or live with resyncs.
by parker_day » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:46 pm
tabacco wrote:In my case I'm 100% sure it's the copper from the NID to the jack. It's all easily accessible outside the building, but since it's a multistory unit, Sonic can't replace the wiring and my landlord doesn't care to (since the phone jack is 'working' to the legal definition). So yeah, my options are pretty much to cap it to the point of uselessness or live with resyncs.
You could always tell your landlord that you're getting a lot of static on the line. They would be required to fix it. If it's that accessible it shouldn't be too hard for them to get fixed anyways.
by Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:08 am
My line has been doing the same thing, about 2.5 weeks now...and for the first time, the modem could not connect at all for a couple of hours, so I called tech support and never got through, the line was too busy.
This would seem to indicate that others were having trouble too.
However Sonic has not put anything on the network status page about it.
SO for the last 3 weeks or so my line retrains and/or has 25 to 75% packet loss when it does connect back up,
and other times no loss.
They told me it was probably my modem.
I would hate to waste money on a new modem if it isn't the issue.
They downgraded my speed to 3 Mbps and it finally synced, when I had to call about it.
I asked that to be uncapped, to try another modem.

Yesterday I was connected at 4326 kbps. (Still the same modem, the other two I have would not connect at all.)

This morning, I have this:
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Downstream Rate: 9825 kbps
Upstream Rate: 1179 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 5.4 dB (Downstream) 7.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 44.1 dB (Downstream) 21.7 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 18.8 dBm (Downstream) 12.4 dBm (Upstream)

So. mine is all over the place, just like yours.
I'm using an AT&T 2701HG modem.

The packet loss and re-syncing have been going on regularly, every other day or two.
So when it connects, I can't necessarily use it, because nothing gets through anyway.

Assuming it's not the modem for the purposes of speculation, there has to be another problem somewhere.

As you can see, it's connected at 9K kbps right now.
I am not convinced it's the modem, but I will try another soon.
16 posts Page 1 of 2