When is the bonded $60 plan roll out?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
28 posts Page 1 of 3
by Guess » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:20 pm
Can't wait for the bonded plan to double the current speed.
Any news on when it'.will be rolled out?
Thanks
by dane » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:54 pm
Guess wrote:Can't wait for the bonded plan to double the current speed.
Thanks
"Soon" is as specific as I can be at this point. We are working on it.

For existing customers, we'll launch a pre-ordering tool shortly, so you'll be able to order the upgrade which will be delivered once the processes are completed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jroryb » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:39 am
Does this imply that at some point I may be able to add a second line and potentially get 20Mbps download for $60 per month ( vs the $40 I am paying now... )

Fiber would of course be much better... But I am out in the boonies...

Thanks!

Rory
by steelgaze » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:30 pm
You get "up to" 20mbps per line. as for the pricing, That is how I read it. 40 for the first line, 20 for an additional + any applicable taxes.

Whatever your first line is at, your second line will be at about the same speed.

So, if you got your first line running at 5mbps, a second line would add another 5mbps totaling 10mbps.
by ericjd » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:42 pm
Is bonding being offered to all adsl customers? I'm at 95120.
by m2m3 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:20 pm
My understanding is that all current circuits will get an upgrade of some kind: VDSL2 if you are in the range of 4,000 ft. from the CO; or bonded pair if you are further away. Of course, you will be able to get a bonded pair with VDSL2 too; however, I don't know if you will be able to get bonded pair behind an ATT RT when Sonic starts using the ATT rebranded UVerse product.

I just remembered that Dane said that there will be a $3 monthly fee for the bonding equipment too; so, that is $20 + $3 = $23 minimal.

My question to Dane is this: what will be the final cost of the extra line. I am worried about all kinds of local and federal taxes and fees adding considerably more than just $23. I hope that there is not so much more added that the extra line adds let's say, $6 to the cost, which will make it cost about $30 total.
by ericjd » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:44 pm
m2m3 wrote:My understanding is that all current circuits will get an upgrade of some kind: VDSL2 if you are in the range of 4,000 ft. from the CO; or bonded pair if you are further away. Of course, you will be able to get a bonded pair with VDSL2 too; however, I don't know if you will be able to get bonded pair behind an ATT RT when Sonic starts using the ATT rebranded UVerse product.

I just remembered that Dane said that there will be a $3 monthly fee for the bonding equipment too; so, that is $20 + $3 = $23 minimal.

My question to Dane is this: what will be the final cost of the extra line. I am worried about all kinds of local and federal taxes and fees adding considerably more than just $23. I hope that there is not so much more added that the extra line adds let's say, $6 to the cost, which will make it cost about $30 total.
Thanks. I'm on the 6 mb down/1 mb up plan, with real world speeds of 5.2 mb up/.65 mb down. Not sure of distance to CO or RT, though the AT&T tech who came out recently mentioned 1200 ft from the RT. I tried googling how to find distance to CO, but couldn't find it. Also, not sure if U-Verse will become available at my location.

Bonding would theoretically give me 12 mb up/2 mb down. Not sure if that would be 10.4 mb down/1.3 mb up real world. That would be $60+/month. Not sure if I will go that route of jump ship to Comcast with their 50 mb down/10 mb up plan for ~$60/month. Really dislike the idea of going with Comcast, but I want faster internet.
by virtualmike » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:20 pm
ericjd wrote:... though the AT&T tech who came out recently mentioned 1200 ft from the RT.
It sounds like you're on the "legacy" AT&T DSL that maxes at 6/1, which is not Fusion service. At the moment, Fusion is not offered to people whose phone lines connect to an RT (Remote Terminal), but as Dane and others have noted here, that's about to change. At 1,200 feet, you'll likely see well over 15Mbps with a single line.
by mszaro » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:47 pm
dane wrote:
Thanks

For existing customers, we'll launch a pre-ordering tool shortly, so you'll be able to order the upgrade which will be delivered once the processes are completed.

This is the first I've heard of something like this. Does this mean that residential customers on Fusion will be able to get bonded DSL? I'm in downtown San Jose and would jump on this in a heartbeat were it available.
by dane » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:10 pm
mszaro wrote:
dane wrote:
Thanks

This is the first I've heard of something like this. Does this mean that residential customers on Fusion will be able to get bonded DSL? I'm in downtown San Jose and would jump on this in a heartbeat were it available.
Yes, "Fusion X2" is coming soon. I believe the team is loading some beta end-user customers in the next couple days.

The product adds a second data-only line to your current Fusion connection, roughly doubling speed. The up-charge is an additional $20 monthly. The single-line Pace 4111N is swapped out for a dual-line Pace 5168N, which has Gig-E LAN and bonding xDSL capabilities. The equipment fee for the bonded service is $3/mo higher than the single-line.

For Sonic members on short loops, say 4,000 to 4,500ft from the central office, I'd advise waiting for a VDSL2 migration opportunity, instead of taking the X2 product today. We've got customers getting 15Mbps to 24Mbps on ADSL2+ on short loops who will see up to 50Mbps or more on VDSL2, and that doesn't increase the monthly cost, so it's a better path. VDSL2 upgrades for customers close enough to get gains from it will be offered in a few months. A one-time non-recurring fee is likely for this upgrade, FYI.

Lots of things going on here!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
28 posts Page 1 of 3