Decouple phone...Internet Only Plans

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
34 posts Page 1 of 4
by alphawave7 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:36 pm
I have no intention to ever use the phone portion of the Fusion plan, yet it represents $15+ a month, and nearly all the misc. taxes and fees. It seems you need a Internet Only plan for folks like me, who only want broadband.
by Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:20 am
Especially since Sonic used to, I know of old customers whom were able to keep their old 'grandfathered' plans w/o voice.
by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:52 am
I'd like an internet only plan too.
by m2m3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:02 am
I think that Sonic could profit by addressing this issue with something reasonable. Perhaps:

1) Fusion-(minus) phone: call it something else. Perhaps discount it $5-$10/month. What would be the legal fallout of this?

2) Offer Fusion-(minus) phone for the same price: this would be the equivalent of a customer paying the same rate but declining the phone service. Essentially, the customer would be paying for the service with an opt out for phone. I am thinking the Feds and State governments would frown upon this.

3) Perhaps something else entirely that could be sanctioned through federal, state, and local governments.

I am not asking for any Sonic representative to comment on anything posted, but to think of other possibilities to accommodate certain customers.
by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:21 am
I would switch to this immediately. I have zero use for a home phone, I'm not even sure it's ever rang. I certainly don't know what the phone number is without logging into my sonic account to see it.
by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:12 pm
Count me in for this, too! I'm only interested in an internet only plan. I currently have the Sonic DSL 3Mb/s plan and would hope they offer something comparable (and affordable) with whatever these new service options will be in a couple of months.
by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:45 pm
Dane has indicated the U-verse product will include VoIP. I'm not sure what that would mean in terms of fees.

U-verse internet only is currently available from DSLextreme's trueSTREAM.

Our household, on the other hand, rely on my POTS often. We save much more money using prepaid cell service and using POTS. We'll save even more when Sonic's U-verse product comes online as we pay around $35 for POTS from AT&T since we're behind an RT and are stuck with legacy ADSL1.
by alphawave7 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:01 am
Still interested if there's any hope on the horizon for net-only plans. I use cell phones exclusively, and my '$40/mo Sonic bill is really $56 dollars for all the taxes added by an included service I don't want. FWIW, I just tested my TMobile connection and got 65Mbps down (Sonic get 11 maybe), so I'm having a hard time justifying keeping Sonic.
by peeteee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:33 pm
I too am interested in a Fusion Internet only plan, as I have no need for a land line and have not used mine in over a decade. Please seriously consider offering Fusion Internet only plans.
by loheiman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:57 pm
+1 have never used my sonic phone service and don't even have a telephone hooked up to it..
34 posts Page 1 of 4