Slow / timed-out access to Facebook

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
43 posts Page 1 of 5
by oddhack » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:47 am
I've been seeing egregiously poor Facebook performance for the last week or two. Typically the first part of the wall will load fairly fast but scrolling never pulls up more; comments are never committed; trying to open notifications or other parts of the site via links on the home page takes minutes-to-never to complete. This isn't a browser or scripting issue, I see the same thing with Chromium, Firefox, Opera on Debian 7/8, all running without any addons or extensions. Anyone else having similar trouble, or found solutions? Short of FB disliking my IP, all I can think of is broken caching issues between here and FB's servers.
by thulsa_doom » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:57 pm
I've seen similar behavior lately via my Sonic connection at home, a cable connection in Tahoe, and the Verizon LTE network. This lead me to think it was something on Facebook's end.
John Fitzgerald
Sonic Technical Support
by wa2ibm » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:20 pm
I've seen the same thing here using my Comcast cable connection. I'm using my RV180 router for DNS forwarding to Comcasts DNS.
by virtualmike » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:03 pm
I'm seeing inconsistent behavior with FB, regardless of the location (home=Sonic Fusion, travel=other providers, including Comcast). Sometimes it will load very quickly, and other times, I wait several minutes for basic elements to load.
by virtualmike » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:52 pm
So I just went on FB (5:41 pm). I'm currently on a non-Sonic wifi connection in Forestville, and I'm using Sonic VPN.

FB loaded very slowly, and showed me that I have notifications. I clicked on the little globe icon, and it showed me the list. The oldest was someone's "poke," so I clicked on the notification. Instead of giving me the poke information, FB showed me a blank screen. I see the top banner, but nothing else.

I then clicked on the "f" at the left, and again I received a blank screen.

I disconnected VPN and tried again. Still, nothing.

I reconnected with VPN, closed my browser, and restarted it. FB now seems to be working.

Oh, wait. I clicked on another notification, and I have the little spinner on the browser tab showing that the browser is waiting for data. It took almost 30 seconds to load the page to which the notification pointed.

It's just FB.
by nsmiller » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:45 am
Cox users are also reporting problems. Maybe it's just Facebook.
by Patrick Shuff » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:55 pm
Can those with issues provide some more information to help correlate the issues you're seeing:

1. What browser are you using?
2. What version is the browser?
3. What operating system?
4. When you look at the firefox/chrome console are you seeing any errors?
by oddhack » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:07 pm
Patrick Shuff wrote:Can those with issues provide some more information to help correlate the issues you're seeing:

1. What browser are you using?
2. What version is the browser?
3. What operating system?
4. When you look at the firefox/chrome console are you seeing any errors?
It's not browser related, at least for me. As mentioned above I've seen similar behavior using current versions of Chromium, Firefox, and Opera on Debian 8 and Debian 7. I've tried with all my normal extensions enabled and in clean new profiles with no addons at all. I don't see errors cropping up on the developer console. None of this makes any difference to the observed behavior. I very much doubt it's anything in my local setup.
by virtualmike » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:28 pm
oddhack wrote:I very much doubt it's anything in my local setup.
I very much doubt it's anything in the Sonic network, either.
by mka » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:59 pm
I'm also experiencing problems with FB for over a week now. I tried different browsers (Chrome/Firefox) with the same result. Yesterday it worked for some time seemingly after switching to a browser profile which allows 3 party cookies, but today I can't reproduce this anymore :/
43 posts Page 1 of 5