New Modem recommendations?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
27 posts Page 2 of 3
by dane » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:05 pm
Palo Aalto Bill wrote:
dane wrote:All good points, and for someone who wants to DIY, it's certainly an option!

...except for IPTV. When offered, it will require Sonic equipment end to end, including a set-top box and a Sonic modem. Just FYI.
Dane, are you implying that IPTV will be coming soon?
We're working on it.

I'm raising the issue because it'd be a shame for someone to buy a modem, then to end up discarding it because they wanted IPTV later. That'd be wasteful and potentially frustrating.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:15 pm
dane wrote:I'm raising the issue because it'd be a shame for someone to buy a modem, then to end up discarding it because they wanted IPTV later. That'd be wasteful and potentially frustrating.
Well, that depends on how long it'll be before the IPTV feature is available. One could turn your argument around -- if it takes more than, say, half a year before Sonic deploys IPTV, it would be wasteful and frustrating to have paid the Pace rental fee for all that time, instead of buying an inexpensive modem now and only ordering the Pace when and if you need it.
by dubose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:53 am
Good morning Ms. Miller! Hi! it's me again. I purchased a D-Link dsl520b modem a couple of days after I spoke with you and I have not been able to get it to work. I cannot get into the modem unless I install it with their software. I have tried everything I could possibly think of. I can sometimes get a message that says that It is correctly installed, but I cannot open any websites. I can see the websites but they will not open. They will often say "problem loading page" or "website taking to long to respond". I have worked with "DOS" and "Windows" since their earliest incarnations and always have been able to get thru the problem by myself but I have to admit that this has me totally flummoxed.
If you could offer me any more solutions I would certainly appreciate it. If you would like any more information please PM me and I will be happy to supply it.

Again

Thank you

Denniis
by parker_day » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:22 am
dubose wrote:I purchased a D-Link dsl520b modem a couple of days after I spoke with you and I have not been able to get it to work.
Are you connected directly to the modem, or are you using a router? Make sure you connect directly to the modem for initial setup.

What is the status of the four lights on the front of the modem?

It's my understanding this modem defaults to a PPPoE connection, but for it to work with Sonic you will need to set it to ATM or Bridge mode.

D-link should be able to help you get connected, although I'm sure their support is lacking: (877) 453-5465

Or, you could get the leased modem from Sonic, which comes ready to connect.
dubose wrote:Good morning Ms. Miller!
I'm pretty sure the person you keep referring to as Ms. Miller is a man with the username nsmiller...
by dubose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:32 pm
Thank you parker_day for the heads-up re nsmiller! I assumed that since the avatar was female that nsmiller was female. And we all know what happens when you assume something.
Now, re your ?'s #1) yes I am connected directly to the modem. #2) All lights are lit except for the internet lamp.
I have tried to access the router via the 198.162.1.1 website address before plugging in the dsl connection to the wall plate but again I get the same error message of either "page took to long to load" or "unable to open website" or something similar to those. I will try your suggestions and report back.

Thank you

Dennis
by parker_day » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:36 pm
dubose wrote:I have tried to access the router via the 198.162.1.1 website address before plugging in the dsl connection to the wall plate but again I get the same error message of either "page took to long to load" or "unable to open website" or something similar to those. I will try your suggestions and report back.
Okay, you may want to double check the address you're typing in. It should be 192.168.1.1 for the web interface of Dlink modems. That is slightly different than the IP address you posted.
by nsmiller » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:44 pm
dubose wrote:Thank you parker_day for the heads-up re nsmiller! I assumed that since the avatar was female that nsmiller was female. And we all know what happens when you assume something.
"On the Internet no one knows you're a dog."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hNZ8LFE5DA
Now, re your ?'s #1) yes I am connected directly to the modem. #2) All lights are lit except for the internet lamp.
I have tried to access the router via the 198.162.1.1 website address before plugging in the dsl connection to the wall plate but again I get the same error message of either "page took to long to load" or "unable to open website" or something similar to those. I will try your suggestions and report back.
Did you manually configure your computer for an IP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 range? If you are going to bridge the DSL-520B, you are going to disable DHCP and DNS on the modem. If you fail to configure the computer's network adapter manually, you won't get in. I set mine at 192.168.1.100.

P.S. The avatar is one of Tsuruta Kenji's modestly portrayed women.
by dubose » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:32 pm
Gentlemen...(nsmiller & parker_day) Just a note of thanks for all your suggestions. IT WORKS!!!!! I tried all your suggestions and to my amazement I was able to get on the net. I would never have been able to figure out how to do it by myself.
I must tell you that I was seriously considering to give up and to continue paying the $6.50/mo. rental fee. I would not have had any problem with that, if at the end of a year I would have owned the Sonic router but, after being a long time purchasing agent there is just something that sticks in my craw about renting anything as opposed to buying it.
Again Thank You both.

Dennis
by parker_day » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:40 pm
dubose wrote:IT WORKS!!!!! I tried all your suggestions and to my amazement I was able to get on the net. I would never have been able to figure out how to do it by myself.
Hi Dennis,

Glad to hear you are up and running. Hopefully this thread can help someone in the future get up and running as well. :)
by musicalfruit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:56 pm
What kind of speeds does the D-Link DSL-520B support?

I had a ZTE ZXDSL 831II that was kinda flaky so I had purchased a ZXDSL 831B as a backup modem from eBay.

It works but after some speed tests, it seems that it's capped at ~5Mbit. Usable but not that great since my line is normally around 11-12Mbit.

Thanks!
27 posts Page 2 of 3