Usenet problems

General discussions and other topics.
52 posts Page 5 of 6
by xox » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:58 am
(个_个)
by xox » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:09 am
news.sonic.net now saying "invalid server address". Sounds like the funeral is real, fellas.
by xox » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:12 am
Oh yes, it's officially official. https://corp.sonic.net/status/2016/09/0 ... ice-ended/
by ankh » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:43 am
bump:
So the "five recommended sources|" article warns that four of the listed five are resellers.

So that's really two recommended sources.

But -- which two are actually different?
by ankh » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:47 am
and, is there a Highwinds reseller anyone can recommend, easily accessible from SF Bay Area?

I am on a Highwinds reseller at 3.34 euros/month for a one year contract. Highwinds is handling everything. When I paid, I was switched to a Highwinds store and did not directly pay the reseller. Sonic could do the same for us 300 and it would cost them less than $1000/month. Or they could use the 300 to gain a better deal from Highwinds
by xox » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:48 am
I would recommend dslreports.com and the usenet subreddit for details and advice! There are also some aggregate review sites that are mostly updated, if you google something like "usenet reviews". Tempted to propose we build something ourselves but probably no way to make that cost less than these.

I would be curious to know if anyone knows of another small, local provider that still has usenet as a feature.
by tufur » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:48 am
ankh wrote:and, is there a Highwinds reseller anyone can recommend, easily accessible from SF Bay Area?

I am on a Highwinds reseller at 3.34 euros/month for a one year contract. Highwinds is handling everything. When I paid, I was switched to a Highwinds store and did not directly pay the reseller. Sonic could do the same for us 300 and it would cost them less than $1000/month. Or they could use the 300 to gain a better deal from Highwinds
That was pureusenet.nl. After a month checkout, I paid for the entire year at 3.34 euro/month(8 logins-24Mb.) Check it out for a month to see if you like it. My understanding is the Highwinds servers sit in the UK. I am not seeing very many slow periods and they might be caused by the free 'Newsleecher 7.0.' It is a crasher on my machine. Time for me to go back to newsleecher 3.6 giganews version. Westworld has been staying up for two days before the eventual HBO takedown occurs. Pureusenet.nl only goes 1100 days back, but 3000 days of deleted shows isn't worth the $10/month the other big boys want.8p

Posting is defaulted to off. You have to go into your profile to change it.
by ankh » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:14 pm
I'll try it.
Arrrrgh, choose a newsreader from a list I'm not familiar with.
Not including my old reliable Thoth (Mac).
We'll see.
by Guest » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:16 am
I might be up for this. I don't understand what it means for the service to be local to the bay area since it's just bits from the internet anyway. But it's fairly cheap to colo a box in Fremont (he.net). Or if Sonic still does colo, is there any chance we could get a deal hosting a box for use only by Sonic customers? How much does it cost to get a feed from easynews and split it out to more users? I'm mostly interested in text groups and am getting that from eternal-september but I can see wanting to get it from closer, especially if client traffic all stays in the Sonic network.
by xox » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:24 am
FYI all, usenet providers always have a lot of Black Friday deals, only time of year. Google/Reddit
52 posts Page 5 of 6