automating switching between annex a/m

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by kkeller » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:52 pm
Is there any way to automate switching between Annex A and Annex M? I would like to be able to have different ''profiles'' where, for example, most of the time our line would be in Annex M, but when we wanted to stream content (say, two shows at a time) I could switch to Annex A, then switch back when done. From what I can tell poking around I can't see a way to do this (or, indeed, any way to switch without contacting support), but I thought I'd ask anyway.
by jleake » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:41 am
There isn't currently a way to do this in our Member Tools, but it's a feature that I know has been discussed in the past.

Depending on your modem, it's possible you can have Support set your line to multimode and then change back and forth between Annex A and Annex M in the modem settings. I believe I can do this with my ZyXEL P-663HN-51. Logging into the modem wouldn't be quite as easy as logging into Member Tools, but it would probably be easier than calling us.

EDIT: Actually, I haven't been able to get that to work on my line, but I've heard some rumors that a Member Tools option and possibly even a smartphone app may eventually be available to switch it. For now, you'll have to call us. It's a quick change as long as the modem is configured for Annex M.
Juliana L.
Customer Support, Sonic.net, Inc.
by kkeller » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:23 pm
[quote="jleake"]Depending on your modem, it's possible you can have Support set your line to multimode and then change back and forth between Annex A and Annex M in the modem settings. I believe I can do this with my ZyXEL P-663HN-51. Logging into the modem wouldn't be quite as easy as logging into Member Tools, but it would probably be easier than calling us.[/quote]

Thanks Juliana. Is multimode different from allowing Annex M on the Sonic side of the link? IOW, are there actually three choices: A, M, multi? If so then multimode might just work for me.

Logging in to the modem can be automated at my end; the issue would be whether my changes will be supported at the other end. I did the naive thing and changed my modem to Annex A as a test, but it didn't work (don't recall exact details), so automating it would be pointless. But if multimode supports switching at the modem I may try it. (I'm assuming I need to call/email support for this change.)
by jleake » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:11 pm
You're set to Annex M on our end right now. If we set you to multimode on our end, you should be able to switch back and forth in the modem. Give us a call and we can get that change made for you!
Juliana L.
by kkeller » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:07 pm
Thanks again Juliana. One more (I hope!) quick question: are there any speed or other disadvantages to multimode?
by jleake » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:01 pm
If you're running stable on Annex M and Annex A with an uncapped line, there shouldn't be any issues. Setting equipment on multimode means it will try to connect using the best options available give the configuration of the device on the other end.
Juliana L.
by davislawn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:08 am
Bumping an older thread for clarification :)

Like OP, I want normal download speeds 95% of the time, but also infrequently but periodically upload largish concert footage to Youtube, which often takes 6 hours or more, and my connection becomes useless during the upload. I would like to have ability to toggle Annex A and M at my modem in settings, WITHOUT having to contact support at every instance, to enable Annex M 'on their side'. To verify, once Sonic Support enables 'M', I can then proceed to toggle A/M at the modem? Many Thanks! 8-)
by dane » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:07 am
jleake wrote:You're set to Annex M on our end right now. If we set you to multimode on our end, you should be able to switch back and forth in the modem. Give us a call and we can get that change made for you!
You sure this is right? My understanding is that multimode will deliver Annex A even if the modem has both A and M enabled. Toggling M is controlled by the DSLAM setting, where we explicitly tell it to sync M.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 am
davislawn wrote:Bumping an older thread for clarification :)

Like OP, I want normal download speeds 95% of the time, but also infrequently but periodically upload largish concert footage to Youtube, which often takes 6 hours or more, and my connection becomes useless during the upload. I would like to have ability to toggle Annex A and M at my modem in settings, WITHOUT having to contact support at every instance, to enable Annex M 'on their side'. To verify, once Sonic Support enables 'M', I can then proceed to toggle A/M at the modem? Many Thanks! 8-)
I believe support must toggle this in te DSLAM. To remedy this, we are working on a set of controls for customers to manage this setting. Expect a call in IVR, plus a mobile phone app.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by davislawn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:00 pm
dane wrote:
davislawn wrote:Bumping an older thread for clarification :)

I believe support must toggle this in te DSLAM. To remedy this, we are working on a set of controls for customers to manage this setting. Expect a call in IVR, plus a mobile phone app.
Both of those options would be terrific, and a VERY important feature to me! Cheers Dane! 8-)
11 posts Page 1 of 2