Looking to change to Sonic .

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:16 am
My parents live in outer Sunset in San Francisco, they do not speak English, and I will be out of state. We currently use ATT 3MBPS plan. I was looking into changing the internet provider for them.

How complicated is the process to change from ATT to Sonic? Could I just call and set up an account with Sonic and it will automatically change our provider, granted I tell ATT that I will no longer be continuing with them? Will a technician have to come?
by wa2ibm » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Switching from AT&T phone & DSL to Sonic Fusion is quite simple. Go here:

https://newsignup.sonic.net/shop

Fill in the existing AT&T phone number and see if Fusion service is available. If so, order it online. For the typical install, a new rental modem will be sent out to the address and an email will tell you when the installation date is set. When the switch over is made at the local Central Office, you'll notice a short pause in dial tone and the original DSL connection will be lost. At that time, install the new modem in place of the old one and you should be online soon.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, notify AT&T before the switch is made. They may kill the line in advance of the switch which will complicate the process. AT&T will be notified of the "line loss" and will close the account accordingly. It wouldn't hurt to call them at some time after the switch to verify, but it isn't usually necessary.

This could all be done remotely, there won't be a tech visit unless there is a problem that you can't handle on your own.
2 posts Page 1 of 1