Fusion apparent firewalling

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by kleinsi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:56 pm
I just switched from Legacy DSL to Fusion. I have it configured with a single Static IP. My firewall is set to forward port 5500 (reverse VNC viewer connection) to a computer inside my DMZ for remote controlling client computers when necessary.

This port forwarding is functional within the Sonic network, for example, I can "telnet myhost 5500" from shell.sonic.net and a connection is established. However, it seems to be blocked from outside of Sonic's network, for example, trying the same telnet command from my Comcast connection or a shell account on a web host I use just times out.

I've been told that there shouldn't be any firewalling on my Fusion connection, but I can't explain what's happening unless there is firewalling between the Internet and my Fusion connection. Internal Sonic traffic is allowed, which means my port forwarding is working, but I can't get to it from outside of Sonic's network.

Is there a Sonic network type that can help me with this? Anyone run into this type of issue before?

Thanks for any feedback or assistance!
by bobrk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:02 pm
Does telnetting to weird ports work on other sites?
by kleinsi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:07 pm
I'm not sure what you're asking... My "weird port" is the port for a VNC viewer in listening mode. I use that together with a single click VNC server that I distribute to my customers for remote technical support. Currently, that port is open from within the Sonic network (the telnet command is checking that), but not open from outside the Sonic network. The same config worked on my Legacy DSL without any issues.
by bobrk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:10 pm
Oh, yes, gotcha. Missed that.
by kleinsi » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:25 pm
My testing was flawed, it's working correctly. Whoops!
5 posts Page 1 of 1