Please add service to 95136

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by low56 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:43 pm
Moving to Park Belmont Pl 95136 and want to keep my sonic connection. Unfortunately Sonic doesn't service that area. Help?
by wa2ibm » Sat May 24, 2014 2:12 pm
Yes, you're kind'a stuck in one of the many San Jose dark spots. Vistapark Drive, I believe, is a dividing line between CO's that serve that area. West of Vistapark is served out of the Foxworthy office (just east of Meridian), and east of Vistapark is served out of the office near Chynoweth and Monterey. These are both too far from you for Sonic Fusion service via copper. AT&T serves DSL in your area via Remote Terminals and Sonic no longer offers that product to new customers.

Your best bet is to go to the Sonic site to sign up for Fusion then, when it says it's not available, register your email address as interested. That will add a small voice to the list and may, one day in the future, encourage Sonic to install fiber in your area. Don't hold your breath however. Service in your area is mostly underground, which makes it more expensive to install fiber, thus increasing the number of "I want fiber" requests needed to justify the installation.
by wa2ibm » Sat May 24, 2014 2:25 pm
Looking closer, your CO would be SNJSCA13, located on Shenado Place (a short court that replaced Chynoweth when it was rerouted over Monterey Hwy). When it was built, it was referred to as the BAldwin office, since the phone numbers were all of the 224, 225, 226, 227, etc. numbers, referred to as BAldwin 4, BAldwin 5, etc. I know, I'm showing my age. :-)

Still, that's too far for a copper loop to provide Sonic Fusion, you'll have to wait for fiber. What's probably even more frustrating is that the railroad right-of-way that you're very close to is a high density fiber corridor for multiple fiber companies. If you could smell fiber, you could probably taste it from where you are.
by low56 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Now I'm stuck going with a Comcast or ATT ISP. Sucks!
by wa2ibm » Sat May 24, 2014 2:28 pm
low56 wrote:... want to keep my sonic connection.
You did say "Keep". Are you currently using Sonic via wholesale DSL via AT&T? If so, I believe that Sonic will allow you to 'move' that service to a new address. You probably can't do that from the web site, but do call up sales and see if they'll do that for you.
by low56 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:33 pm
I am a current Sonic customer but not sure if it's through ATT. How do I find out?
by wa2ibm » Sat May 24, 2014 2:37 pm
Do you get dialtone from AT&T or from Sonic? If your phone service is via AT&T, then you're on the wholesale AT&T DSL product. If your phone service is directly from Sonic, then you have copper Fusion service.

Edit to add:
If you still don't know, pick up the phone and call 611. You'll either get AT&T repair service or get Sonic customer service. That'll tell 'ya.
by low56 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:49 pm
Just called their customer service and they said they can't service that address. Probably U-Verse they said.
by xanuser » Sun May 25, 2014 7:46 am
is it because they wont alow a uverse serviced home to have sonic at the same time, or because uverse is the only thing available in the neighborhood?

if its the first reason, you should be able to get a new drop separate from uverse for a "rented" granny unit, office or roommate.

at least thats how i was able to have uverse tv and sonic pots/isp.

if its the latter, theres no hope but to rally for ISP to be considered a utility by the FCC, instead of the Oligopoly we have now.
9 posts Page 1 of 1