spam from a third party required by sonic for domain registr

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by markf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:43 pm
Sonic, we are at an impasse, after 18 years with sonic, I am done. I registered a domain a little over a week ago and now it is deactivated. All because tucows wishes to have direct access to my email address to force their advertising on me. A captive audience.

I called twice yesterday to find out why my domain is not resolving. Nobody could figure it out. I paid for the domain registration and hosting, no domain. I called today and the tech knew why. Because I blacklist spammers that send me spam like tucows and tucows spammed me incessantly.

I have no relationship with tucows. My only business relationship is with sonic; a relationship of 18 years. Over this time I can't even calculate the amount of money I have spent at sonic. It is in the thousands of dollars, probably many thousands of dollars. I have had colo'ed servers here.

I changed the email in the domain to tucows-sucks-my-ass@tribtrash.org not thinking the DNS is inactive for the domain tribtrash.org, so the email will never be received. So I changed the email contact to tucows-sucks-my-ass@stop-spam.org knowing this domain does resolve and redirecting the email to a non filtered root account. I called sonic back an spoke with Cory.

Cory, is threatening to hang up claiming I am being rude. I was not rude, pull up the telephone call. Cory, then refused to resend the failed email to the address I just put in the registration contact form.

I don't expect this to be resolved and so I am looking at isomedia here in Washington to migrate all my domains and accounts to. I know they dislike spam as much as I do.

This is what sonic has become.
by virtualmike » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:49 pm
I have a domain registered through Sonic.net and I have never received any mail from tucows.
by markf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:59 pm
You have, you may just not have realized it. The point here is that my properly registered and paid or domain has been down/deactivated since at least yesterday and it was taken down by a party I have no business relationship with and it was taken down/deactivated because I don't accept their email/spam.

Then Cory, threatened to hang up because I was rude instead sending that email to the email address in the registration. I still haven't received the email, it was sent by tucows, the spamming scumbags, and now I have to move that domain and remove tucows as the registrar.

If I am goign to go that much trouble, I am moving everything.
by virtualmike » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:05 pm
I have NOT received any spam from tucows.
by markf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:55 pm
Might try and check your domain information request.

Oh, tucows sent this, not sonic.

216.40.32.0/20 "Tucows, spamming domain owners"

Return-Path: <domain-registration@sonic.net>
Received: from a.mx.sonic.net (a.mx.sonic.net [69.12.221.234])
by b.lds.sonic.net (8.13.8.Beta0-Sonic/8.13.7) with ESMTP id p0F8YqDa010606
for <REMOVED>; Sat, 15 Jan 2011 00:34:52 -0800
Received: from mx1.registrarmail.net (mx1.registrarmail.net [216.40.35.247])
by a.mx.sonic.net (8.13.8.Beta0-Sonic/8.13.7) with ESMTP id p0F8YoAx014130
for <REMOVED>; Sat, 15 Jan 2011 00:34:52 -0800
Received: from cron-1.opensrs.net (cron-1.opensrs.net [216.40.33.90])
by mx1.registrarmail.net (Postfix) with SMTP id 6E128D4E15
for <REMOVED>; Sat, 15 Jan 2011 08:34:49 +0000 (UTC)
Received: by cron-1.opensrs.net (sSMTP sendmail emulation); Sat, 15 Jan 2011
03:34:49 -0500
Message-Id: <187881891.0.15Jan2011033449-osrs-domains-5953835@cron-1.opensrs.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 03:34:49 -0500 (EST)
X-OSRS-Id: osrs-domains-5953835
To: <REMOVED>
Subject: WHOIS Data Confirmation for stop-spam.org
X-Sonic-SB-IP-RBLs: IP RBLs .
by virtualmike » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:19 pm
Yes, I clarified that I have not received any spam from tucows. The only emails sent to my sonic.net address regards the transfer of my domain. I have not received any unrelated or unsolicited email.
by markf » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:26 pm
I have and that is why I backlisted tucows. Tucows deactivated a properly registered and paid for domain that is still deactivated right now. Ask sonic why the domain is deactivated... tribtrash.org

My only recourse is to remove tucows as the registrar. Since the domain has not been activated, I can only move it from sonic space. Since this is my only option I will just move everything. :(
by polpo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:07 am
I also get those "WHOIS Data Confirmation" emails but they're certainly not spam. It is an ICANN policy to send them: http://www.icann.org/en/resources/regis ... icies/wdrp

And those are the ONLY emails I get from Tucows. Good luck finding a registrar that doesn't send them.
by desertflyer » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:40 am
Every registrar does domain WHOIS confirmation. It's required by ICANN as polpo mentioned. So whoever you switch to will be sending you a similar email once a year.
by cdkeen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 am
http://help.opensrs.com/entries/3007819 ... ation-FAQs
"Registrant verification is a new requirement in the 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) that requires all registrars to verify the registrant’s contact name and email address during a new registration, transfers in or contact updates"

Sorry for the hassle this has caused you Mark. If you need something handled with your domains please let me know and I will do my best to assist you.
cdkeen - Sonic.net System Operations
14 posts Page 1 of 2