ADSL service

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by Anon2 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:40 pm
Does either of your service plans available at 94611 (zip code) have 'jumbo frames' support on the WAN? I need to know that to buy a router and NIC.

Secondly, is the modem you rent wired? I don't allow wireless devices in my home, so if you do not supply wired modem, I would need to buy one...perhaps you can advise a suitable brand/model number that will not impact your service?
by dane » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:02 pm
No, jumbo frames are not supported on Fusion. Most of the Internet transit in general does not support jumbo frames.

The modem/router that we supply includes WiFi, but this can be turned off in the interface, accessed at http://gateway.sonic.net/. The device also has a helpful "wireless" light that will then helpfully not light up.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by anon 2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:15 pm
Thanks for the info. Not having to find a router and NIC that supports 'jumbo frames' should make things easier. As for the modem, my rule is no wifi/bluetooth-capable stuff ever. I'll have to consider this. Probably I'll need to find a wired-only modem to buy, before I join your service, as I rarely make exceptions to such rules. If there is any wired-only gigabit modem that is less loathsome to you, let me know brand/model number, and I'll try to accommodate.
by dane » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:24 am
We don't provide any specific recommendations, but pretty much any ADSL2+ modem should work for basic access. Just assure you configure for DHCP. Some features such as IPv6 may not work on routers not supplied by Sonic, and some future features such as IPTV will not work. If you don't want to use our CPE, you'll need to obtain an RMA from support after your circuit is up and running and stable. (During that time, disable WiFi in our CPE, I suppose.)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1