Some of the Sonic mailservers are on realtime blacklists

General discussions and other topics.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by oddhack » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:35 pm
I've had trouble in the last day sending work-related mail through mail.sonic.net. The problems came back as assertions from the receiver that d.mail.sonic.net was on an RBL. The admin of the machine I was sending to said that the IP was indeed on the sorbs.net and mailspike.org RBLs; I have verified the latter although the sorbs.net website is currently down for maintenance.

I reported this to tech support and they are going to attempt getting the mail servers delisted, but as mailspike.org notes, if whatever the originally offending behavior was continues, it's likely they'll just get put back on. I realize this is a difficult thing to manage but it directly affects my ability to work / get paid if I can't send email to my employer's servers, so I hope you can take a close look at what's been happening on mail.sonic.net and try to crack down on any offending behavior going forward. Obviously I am attempting to get sonic.net whitelisted on the receiving end too, but they're not the only place I need to send mail to so that will at best alleviate the issue.
by kevinmcm » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:05 pm
I just got a SORBS bounce too. SORBS is one of the less legitimate blacklists so there's nothing to do except to convince the recipient to not use it. Some of what they do is based on real-time statistics from corporate mail servers but they also have policies strongly favoring false positives. Delisting comes by paying SORBS a fee (ransom). From what I've heard, personally offending the characters running SORBS results in a listing too. (I worked for the company owning SORBS for 6 months. I wouldn't touch any of their products.)
2 posts Page 1 of 1