Webmail changing apostrophes to entities

General discussions and other topics.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by virtualmike » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:25 am
In webmail, I typed a paragraph like this:
Either is fine, although 6:30 gives me a bit of cushion in case there's an issue at work. If that's ok for Jodi and Marion, that's safer for me. If they prefer 6, we can continue with that.
However, webmail changed it to this:
Either is fine, although 6:30 gives me a bit of cushion in case there's an issue at work. If that's ok for Jodi and Marion, that's safer for me. If they prefer 6, we can continue with that.

This is confusing for the reader.

I can tell that webmail is doing this, because when I go to send, the spell checker kicks in, and flags those entities as misspellings, even though it's not what I typed.
by rodrigo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:04 pm
What OS & Browser (+ versions) and what editor type (HTML, ja?) are you using to produce this behavior?

Is it happening right in the editor, or is the entity replacement just the way it appears to the recipient?

Thanks!
by virtualmike » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:38 pm
Hi, Rodrigo,

I'm using Firefox 26.0 on Windows 7. Yes, I've only seen it happen in the HTML editor (but I've seen it twice).

I was replying to someone else's email (from a Hotmail address, composed on an iPad). I clicked "Send" after writing my response, and the spell checker intercepted and complained about the entities. I corrected them the first time and clicked "Send" again. The second time, I didn't correct and just clicked "Send" again.

I don't know if it's the fact the spell checker is getting invoked is causing this when it reopens the message for editing, or if it's when the editor saves the message, or ...? ...thanks!
3 posts Page 1 of 1