DIY interior fiber cabling

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by bgamble » Thu May 02, 2024 2:26 pm
tl;dr: I am renovating a house and planning a new 10Gb installation around it. I think the effective way to do this will be to pre-position a single run of fiber from the demarc to where I want the ONT to be. I used to know copper semi-well but am totally ignorant of fiber specs. Do I just need an OS2 patch cable of appropriate length with SC/APC ends?

tl: The house is currently 6' in the air while its new foundation cures for a few days. This is a great time to get cable from one place to another but not a great time to set up the ONT because you would have to climb a ladder to get to my office. Furthermore, once the house comes back down, there will be weeks of dusty work on the floors and drywall and so forth. These weeks will also not be a good time to have the ONT just sitting out waiting to be kicked. I therefore conclude that I should leave a few loops on each end and try to keep them safe and clean until all the paint is dry, and only then schedule the install. I think I understand that a cable just snaking out of the wall [ETA:] with an SC/APC will plug into the ONT. I assume the exterior part will involve screwing a gray mystery box on the wall next to all the other utilities' gray mystery boxes. If what comes to that box is a cable just snaking out from under the house with an SC/APC, will the installers have what they need?
by ngufra » Fri May 03, 2024 8:23 am
How about installing a conduit and let the installer use their own cable?

Or put ONT in basement ( you will need power there) and run cat 6 cable to where the rest of your devices will be?

I have ONT and router in basement and wired-in access point (with POE) on each floor.

I also have rj45 in every room going to switch in basement. If you house is open, it's the best time to do this.
Dont' forget to put speaker wires front center, sides, back etc for your tv/projector!
by bgamble » Fri May 03, 2024 10:57 am
The reason I think my idea will work is that it's what this guy did: viewtopic.php?p=63811
3 posts Page 1 of 1