shell server going away -- procmail replacement?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by darrylo » Wed May 01, 2024 4:57 pm
Well, now that the shell server is going away, what are people doing for a procmail replacement? I have various rules that forward some messages to my wife's (Sonic) email address, among other things. I know about IMAPfilter, but is there anything better?

For that matter, what does Sonic recommend for sending email from the command line? Setting up another linux server isn't a problem, but I don't want to set up a full-blown postfix server with domain name and all of the port 25/DKIM/SPF issues. I'm quite happy with sent messages coming from my sonic email address. (At work, I simply use postfix with an internal/firewalled relayhost that doesn't require authentication.) Can postfix-sasl work with Sonic?
by kgc » Wed May 01, 2024 5:12 pm
A) We'll continue to support procmail for the foreseeable future with the rules being edited via ftp. I know that's not a particularly convenient solution. If I was doing this frequently I might use a FUSE-FTP overlay to make it easier to deal with from another local shell server. But, with full transparency, the number of customers with procmail in place is quite low and so while we have no current plans it will come up at some point. Server side filtering is very useful so we would be unlikely to drop support for procmail without also rolling out support for Sieve.

B) Probably the easiest thing to do is configure your mail server of choice on your linux hosts to smarthost with auth to mail.sonic.net. This works fine and should be easy to configure. You can setup a mailbox account to use as an 'application specific roll account' to avoid leaving your password in the clear on the hosts. Alternately, pine, mutt, etc, can all be configured with external SMTP servers with auth.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by nhdesign » Thu May 02, 2024 10:28 am
panix.com
3 posts Page 1 of 1