Please check my equipment choice (MikroTik)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by bgamble » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:38 pm
As a new arrival to Santa Rosa I will soon be ordering fiber. I am aware that it's hard to saturate 1Gb, let alone 10Gb, so I figured the ideal box would have a 10Gb WAN port and 1Gb LAN ports. A little sniffing around turned up the MikroTik CSS610-8G-2S+IN; the fast port is SFP+, while Sonic's trusty 622v has an RJ45, so I'd need a single SFP transceiver for that, but otherwise am I correct in thinking this switch will fit the bill? (I'm planning to handle WiFi separately since Certain Users on my previous network complained of flaky connections on macOS and iOS that I could not replicate, so I want to be able to debug/swap without interrupting my desktops.)

Any comments or suggestions welcome. TIA!
by drbubbles » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:49 pm
The ONT doesn't do any routing so you'll need either a router/gateway (to allocate addresses to your devices and direct traffic) and a switch (to connect the devices to the router or gateway) or a router with a built in switch. The CSS610-8G-2S+IN is just a switch.

There are a few threads here discussing hardware for 10Gbps, here's one from not long ago: viewtopic.php?p=63045&hilit=hardware#p63045

There are 10Gbps wifi routers from the usual vendors for about $600 or higher, or separate boxes from the enthusiast+ and mid size business vendors i.e. Ubiquiti or Mikrotik. (i.e., Gateway->Switch->Devices and an Access Point).

Ubiquiti just updated their UDM range with the UDM-Pro-Max which looks promising. (I'm holding out for pricing on their Enterprise Fortress Gateway which has a pair of 25Gbps ports too).

On the other hand you can simply use a moderately priced 1Gbps wifi router and experience the amazing joy of symmetric 1Gbps internet from Sonic until the price of 10Gbps stuff comes down a bit! (And is already much better than anything else available in every way that matters)
by bgamble » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 pm
router
switch
Oh phoo, I was hoping my ignorance wouldn't show quite so glaringly. How about this one? https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_rm
by drbubbles » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 pm
Yes that looks more like what you want, but I've not studied this market segment so others should chime in. You'll also need to add a WiFi access point if you want wifi.
by artakamoose » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:56 am
It really depends on what you want to do with your network and how you attach devices to your router.

From my limited reading on the 4011, you can assign any of the ports as WAN (you should confirm that this applies to the SFP+ port), and each of the 5 port switches have 2.5G throughput with the CPU. With that said, you only get one SFP+ port which prevents you from expanding that 10G connection to other devices in the future. A second SFP+ port would solve that.

There are other options out there, including MikroTik. Check out the link drbubbles posted earlier.
by ngufra » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:14 pm
There is a big thread about what equipement to get for 10 G : viewtopic.php?t=17472
by bgamble » Thu May 02, 2024 2:36 pm
With current equipment capabilities, my sense is that the value of 10Gb lies not in sustaining (e.g.) 5Gb to one device, but in sustaining 800Mb to six devices. A router with 10Gb WAN and Nx1Gb LAN ports seems like the appropriate match, with 1Gb switches and Wifi6 APs supporting additional devices as necessary. In any case, thank you all for your advice.
by ngufra » Thu May 02, 2024 3:15 pm
10 GbE are rather expensive and there are not too many use cases at the moment.
You could very well just wait until they come down in price.
by bgamble » Thu May 02, 2024 3:42 pm
Well, here's the thing: the RB4011 is not at all expensive and appears to do what I want, hence my question.
9 posts Page 1 of 1