Port aggregation router

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by jackow » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:27 am
Can an appropriate LACP enabled switch be used to feed two rj45 aggregator ports with a connection to the ONT?

Maybe, but yes if both the switch has LACP and router has LACP.
Proposed Network in Diagram.png
Proposed Network in Diagram.png (98.96 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
by brandonc » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:49 am
jackow wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:27 am Can an appropriate LACP enabled switch be used to feed two rj45 aggregator ports with a connection to the ONT?

Maybe, but yes if both the switch has LACP and router has LACP.

Proposed Network in Diagram.png
I can understand your thought processes here of using Link Aggregation to deliver 2gbps (1gbps + 1gbps) to the router to take advantage of the higher speeds of the 10gbps service and add some redundancy to the connection. However, I don't think it will work, at least not long-term.

Our ONT provides a DHCP address to the device plugged into it (the switch in your example), so you shouldn't use a switch between the ONT and router or else there will be a flood of devices requesting/receiving DHCP addresses from the ONT, which can cause connection issues later down the line requiring you to contact support to clear the IP table on our end.

The typical set-up with switches for our service would be ONT > Router > Switch. This allows the router to still handle the routing of IP addresses to devices while also providing multiple 1gbps-10gbps ports (depending on what your switch and router can handle) for multiple Ethernet connections to the service.

Although, my knowledge of Link Aggregation is limited, so there's a chance I have a misunderstanding of the overall function, but to my knowledge, it probably won't work long-term.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by jackow » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:55 pm
I think that a managed switch will simply relay the DHCP request from the router to ONT in the configuration that I've described and using port isolation. I'm thinking the switch doesn't make any requests on it's own, so it would be limited to the one source making the request. If the ONT isn't actively searching out MAC addresses than I think this configuration should work and add the redundancy and speed advantages.
by brandonc » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:03 pm
jackow wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:55 pm I think that a managed switch will simply relay the DHCP request from the router to ONT in the configuration that I've described and using port isolation. I'm thinking the switch doesn't make any requests on it's own, so it would be limited to the one source making the request. If the ONT isn't actively searching out MAC addresses than I think this configuration should work and add the redundancy and speed advantages.
Our ONT does bind MAC addresses, which I believe is where there might be a problem. Looking at your network from our end, the MAC table is currently at maximum capacity and showing multiple devices listed. So there may be issues if you try adding more devices to the network, which require someone in tech support to clear the MAC table on our end.

Although if everything is working for you and you don't notice any issues, then perhaps I'm mistaken on the viability of the set-up. It's just something to keep in mind if you notice only some devices connected to the network are getting a connection and some are not. If that happens, you'll need to change the set-up to ONT > Router > Switch and call tech support to clear your MAC table.

Best wishes
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1