ICMP Monitoring Address Range?

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by bearcage » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:46 pm
Today I noticed I'm getting a bunch of icmp echoes from 69.12.21.169, which PTRs to a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net. Since I spotted elsewhere on the forum that active icmp monitoring is something to expect more of in the future, I thought I'd be a better citizen on the sonic network and whitelist it.

It doesn't look like there's more than one of these in my logs yet, and {b,c}.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net NXDOMAINs. Does anybody know if there's an address range listed for these anywhere?
by kgc » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:57 am
bearcage wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:46 pm Today I noticed I'm getting a bunch of icmp echoes from 69.12.21.169, which PTRs to a.icmp-monitor.noc.sonic.net. Since I spotted elsewhere on the forum that active icmp monitoring is something to expect more of in the future, I thought I'd be a better citizen on the sonic network and whitelist it.
Allowing that traffic will enable to us to proactively monitor your CPE as well as detect group outages and performance issues as well as allowing support to see historical latency/loss issues so please do. ;)

We're using https://github.com/czerwonk/ping_exporter and feeding it into Prometheus with Grafana and Alertmanager.

There is only one host at this time but we do expect to shard it and migrate it to a physical server at some point.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
2 posts Page 1 of 1