Same network SSID/password in two different physical locations?

General discussions and other topics.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by virtualmike » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:52 pm
I have an interesting tech issue for which I'd love to get some input from others.

We have two homes. Our home in the desert is California, but we also have one on the coast in Oregon where we spend (totaled up) several months each year.

We travel back and forth with many of our devices, and some devices stay at one place or the other.

Both places have good Internet service with Wi-Fi. The CA home has a mesh, and the OR home (a much smaller dwelling) has a good router from the ISP. Both routers support guest networks, which we are using.

I'm contemplating changing the personal/private (e.g., non-guest) network in the OR home to be the same as our CA home. I doubt the devices will care that they're in different physical locations with different network gateways but the same network name and password.

Are there any reasons I should NOT do this? Does anyone else have experience doing this? Did it create any complications or issues?

All feedback welcome. ...thanks!
by kyle.depasquale » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:28 pm
I do just this - there's no problem with it at all!

In fact, it's fairly standard practice with businesses that have multiple locations.
by dane » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:47 pm
I do exactly this.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:46 pm
Excellent. I knew about the business use case, but I didn't know if there was a reason not to do it for residential purposes.

Thanks for the feedback!
by ngufra » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:54 pm
You can even do this for multiple access points all connected to the same ISP device.
If they are clsoe to each other they may be on different wifi channels but your device will just connect to any or the one with the strongest signal and typically won't care.and if you move from the front to the back of the house, it may switch to the other access point.
You could even use the same ssid/shared password on 2.4 and 5 GHz and some access devices allow to "steer" connected device that can to the 5GHz band.
by virtualmike » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:46 pm
ngufra wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:54 pm You can even do this for multiple access points all connected to the same ISP device.
I have encountered issues with that in the past, but I'll concede that newer routers likely will handle that better. Fortunately, that isn't my current challenge!

I've updated the OR house to have the same SSID/password as the CA house, and so far, nothing has squawked. Let's see if any of my apps that use location services (which frequently uses Wi-Fi as one of the factors) get confused. :roll:
6 posts Page 1 of 1