Long Service Delay to Bring Internet Service Back Online after Power Outage

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by casey.clow » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:56 am
Our power went out in Oakland on Sunday. It came on within an hour or two but internet service never returned, even after we did all we were asked to do with the ONT. You know, switching ethernet cables, plugging/unplugging, powering on/off. The soonest repair appointment was on Friday, 5 days after the outage. It seems crazy that such a prominent company that provides such a vital service is so thinly staffed. No explanation of what could be wrong or whether having a technician come out would definitely solve the issue. Very frustrating to say the least.
by brandonc » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:58 pm
casey.clow wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:56 am Our power went out in Oakland on Sunday. It came on within an hour or two but internet service never returned, even after we did all we were asked to do with the ONT. You know, switching ethernet cables, plugging/unplugging, powering on/off. The soonest repair appointment was on Friday, 5 days after the outage. It seems crazy that such a prominent company that provides such a vital service is so thinly staffed. No explanation of what could be wrong or whether having a technician come out would definitely solve the issue. Very frustrating to say the least.
Hi Casey,

I'm very sorry that the service went down. The power outage unfortunately fried some ONT's, which we now need to replace. There's a recent post our CEO Dane replied to here in regards to that viewtopic.php?t=17881.

I moved your dispatch appointment to tomorrow 2/7 between 12pm-4pm to expedite getting this fixed for you. I'll also send you a text message just in case you don't see this post in time. If this time doesn't work, please let our tech support team know as soon as possible, so we can reschedule it.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by nfutterman » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:24 pm
I had more or less the same thing happen - lost service Sunday night, didn’t get it back until Friday afternoon.

Doubly annoyingly, it was resolved immediately by reseating the connector inside the indoor/outdoor termination box (to which I of course don’t have a key, though I know how to handle fibre safely from my own work…).

The billing folks credited me for the downtime (and rounded up) but a days’ long outage I could have fixed myself is nevertheless less than ideal.
3 posts Page 1 of 1