OpenVPN is failing connectivity as of yesterday

Advanced feature discussion, beta programs and unsupported "Labs" features.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by dwhittaker » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:54 am
Anyone else having this issue? All of a sudden I can't connect. Does this have anything to do with the storms pummeling California? If so I'll just wait it out.

When I try to log in I get the following message:

Cannot connect because of the following error:
Error calling protect() method on socket: 5 times.

Any info greatly appreciated.
by joemuller » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:06 pm
OpenVPN (and the rest of our datacenter servers) stayed up throughout the storm - it looks like the error you were getting is a known bug with the OpenVPN client software. If possible, see if you can completely restart the OpenVPN software or reboot your device if you continue to get the error.

-- Joe M
Sonic System Operations
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by dwhittaker » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:35 pm
I'm just now realizing that I don't know the URL to import my profile. I thought it was my username@sonic.net but OpenVPN Connect isn't recognizing it. Can you remind me what that URL would be?
by dwhittaker » Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:50 pm
I tried myusername@ovpn.sonic.net and that didn't work. Can't find any solutions in your help/forum pages on this.
by js9erfan » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:14 am
dwhittaker wrote: I'm just now realizing that I don't know the URL to import my profile. I thought it was my username@sonic.net but OpenVPN Connect isn't recognizing it. Can you remind me what that URL would be?
You can grab your profile from here:

Production: https://ovpn.sonic.net/?src=connect
Beta: https://beta.vpn.sonic.net/?src=connect
by dwhittaker » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:46 am
Thanks. So I downloaded the application again and I'm still getting that error message and can't connect. This only started the other day. I guess this means I'm out of luck until they issue an update?
by dwhittaker » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:53 am
Strangely enough, I can connect on my iPhone, just not on my Mac. Weird.
by js9erfan » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:28 am
dwhittaker wrote: Strangely enough, I can connect on my iPhone, just not on my Mac. Weird.
As mentioned above, it appears to be a OpenVPN client issue related to Macs. See here which may help you.
by dwhittaker » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:27 am
I'm posting this in case anyone else is having issues. I contacted OpenVPN and it turns out this isn't a bug, I changed something in my settings that was causing the issue.

On your Mac, under System Settings -> General -> Login Items -> Allow in the Background, make sure to Flip the toggle to ON (OpenVPN Client). I changed this setting to OFF for some reason. Connection is fine now.
9 posts Page 1 of 1