10G fiber equipment?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by ianloic » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:01 am
I'm a long-time Sonic customer, originally on DSL, now AT&T based fiber. Now those Sonic vans have pulled their own fiber into my neighborhood I have an upgrade scheduled - presumably to 10G.

In the current setup I have a Sonic provided, AT&T branded box that terminates fiber and brings out (presumably 1G) ethernet. That runs into another Sonic provided, AT&T branded BGW210 box that's a WiFi router but also, I believe provides some kind of authentication or encapsulation. But I have the WiFi on that turned off and run ethernet directly into my own intrastructure - currently UniFi gear.

What does the setup look like on 10G? Are there still multiple boxes? Do they have a single 10G port?

Ian - still suffering on 1Gbit fiber, still remembering how exciting a 2400 baud modem was...
by artakamoose » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 am
Welcome to the land of proper ethernet handoff without AT&Ts stupid authentication.

Sonic will install a small ONT. Fiber comes into the ONT, which hands off the connection via Ethernet to the WAN port on your router (so you won’t need anything like the stupid AT&T gateway in the middle). You have your choice of using either the 10G or 1G Ethernet port on the ONT. The 10G port does 10/5/2.5/1, so just use that.

If you have a UDM Pro or SE and want to route more than 1G (or 2.5 if you have the SE) across your LAN, you’ll need to pickup an SFP+ to RJ45 module like this one:
https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category ... CM-RJ45-MG

Otherwise, just plug an Ethernet cable in between the ONT and your RJ45 WAN port on your router.

If you don’t have a router, you can buy whatever you like. Alterntively, Sonic rents some fancy new Eeros that route 10G if you want.
by ianloic » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:55 pm
artakamoose wrote: Welcome to the land of proper ethernet handoff without AT&Ts stupid authentication.

Sonic will install a small ONT. Fiber comes into the ONT, which hands off the connection via Ethernet to the WAN port on your router (so you won’t need anything like the stupid AT&T gateway in the middle). You have your choice of using either the 10G or 1G Ethernet port on the ONT. The 10G port does 10/5/2.5/1, so just use that.
Amazing. Every once in a while I remember that I'm going through several layers of NAT and sigh.
artakamoose wrote: If you have a UDM Pro or SE and want to route more than 1G (or 2.5 if you have the SE) across your LAN, you’ll need to pickup an SFP+ to RJ45 module like this one:
https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/category ... CM-RJ45-MG

Otherwise, just plug an Ethernet cable in between the ONT and your RJ45 WAN port on your router.

If you don’t have a router, you can buy whatever you like. Alterntively, Sonic rents some fancy new Eeros that route 10G if you want.
Right now I have the little, underpowered "Unifi Security Gateway" which I think is basically the low-end edgerouter with Unifi software. It "only" does gigabit, so I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get a UDM Pro or SE. And then upgrade all my APs...

At least all of this is completely unnecessary and just for fun.
by artakamoose » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:09 am
ianloic wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:55 pm Right now I have the little, underpowered "Unifi Security Gateway" which I think is basically the low-end edgerouter with Unifi software. It "only" does gigabit, so I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get a UDM Pro or SE. And then upgrade all my APs...

At least all of this is completely unnecessary and just for fun.
The last line sums it all up.

The USG is much maligned, but it’s honestly a great little box. It routes a full gigabit with all the bells and whistles (IDS/IPS/Smart Queues/Ad blocking) turned off and even allows you to hook up a second ISP for failover. The new UXG Lite gives you the ability to run the bells and whistles but drops the third Ethernet port, so no failover.

From all I’ve read, IDS/IPS doesn’t really matter if you don’t open any ports. Also, Smart queues are pointless on a gigabit connection and likely do more harm than good. Ad blocking can be done on a Raspberry Pi.

More importantly is the fact that the use cases for >1G are tiny right now. So for most people, standard 1G networking equipment (i.e. the USG) is perfectly fine for the foreseeable future.

Thankfully, ration hasn’t stopped me from upgrading my network since it’s a fun project for me. :)
4 posts Page 1 of 1