IPv6 in LA?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by nathanielortiz » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:41 pm
I've had Sonic for almost a year now in LA, but I can't seem to get IPv6. I called support, who said IPv6 was active in my area, specifically on my ONT, but my router wasn't assigned an address. I've also tried plugging a computer into the ONT and still don't get an address.

Does LA have IPv6 or was support incorrect?
by brandonc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:16 pm
nathanielortiz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:41 pm I've had Sonic for almost a year now in LA, but I can't seem to get IPv6. I called support, who said IPv6 was active in my area, specifically on my ONT, but my router wasn't assigned an address. I've also tried plugging a computer into the ONT and still don't get an address.

Native IPv6 is enabled across all of our Fiber network in all locations. However, in order for it to provide an IPv6 address to your router, you have to go into your router's configuration settings to enable IPv6 and request a /56 prefix delegation, then your router will be provisioned a /56 IPv6 address. Without doing this, you'll just receive the normal IPv4 address.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by kgc » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:47 pm
Unfortunately native IPv6 is not available on our fiber network in Southern California yet. I'm not sure what the ETA but perhaps someone from Network Engineering can comment. (I believe there may be some pending equipment upgrades that have to be completed as a precursor to enabling v6.)
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by mtardif » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:58 pm
What Kelsey said is infact correct. We are currently upgrading core routers and the back haul between them over the past few weeks to prepare for further expansion. Doing so will enable us to move forward with uniformly deploying native IPv6 to the region. As for timeline our target is end of Q1 of this year.

I'm sorry for the misinformation. I suspect the support rep may have seen a v6 link local address in our circuit management tool and assumed v6 was deployed. I'll make sure our internal resources and training are in line with the reality of v6 deployment with the appropriate management staff so customers such as yourself don't waste time being frustrated by something they ultimately have no control over.
--
Michael Tardif
Network Engineering Manager
Sonic Telecom
by brandonc » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:40 am
brandonc wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:16 pm
nathanielortiz wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:41 pm I've had Sonic for almost a year now in LA, but I can't seem to get IPv6. I called support, who said IPv6 was active in my area, specifically on my ONT, but my router wasn't assigned an address. I've also tried plugging a computer into the ONT and still don't get an address.

Native IPv6 is enabled across all of our Fiber network in all locations. However, in order for it to provide an IPv6 address to your router, you have to go into your router's configuration settings to enable IPv6 and request a /56 prefix delegation, then your router will be provisioned a /56 IPv6 address. Without doing this, you'll just receive the normal IPv4 address.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Kind regards,
I stand corrected. I was not aware of this. Apologies for the misinformation.
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by nathanielortiz » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 pm
mtardif wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:58 pm What Kelsey said is infact correct. We are currently upgrading core routers and the back haul between them over the past few weeks to prepare for further expansion. Doing so will enable us to move forward with uniformly deploying native IPv6 to the region. As for timeline our target is end of Q1 of this year.

I'm sorry for the misinformation. I suspect the support rep may have seen a v6 link local address in our circuit management tool and assumed v6 was deployed. I'll make sure our internal resources and training are in line with the reality of v6 deployment with the appropriate management staff so customers such as yourself don't waste time being frustrated by something they ultimately have no control over.
Thank you Michael and Kelsey! I appreciate the info and I'm looking forward to IPv6 in LA.
6 posts Page 1 of 1