Any way to block domains from being accessed? E.g., Roblox.com

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by jbainsf » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:02 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how we can block domains such as roblox.com from being accessed from our home network.

I've tried to set this up on the family member's Macbook via Parental Controls, which works but introduces a lot of looping error messages because of the insidious way Roblox when installed hooks into Chrome browser and the Macbook settings.

Any advice would be welcome, especially if there is a free service. One thing I saw was pointing to a different DNS server that has administrative controls for domains, etc. That would mitigate the error messages on the laptop, but still do the job.

We're fine with weekend gaming but our child cannot stop playing during the week and I still need them to use a computer for homework. Ugh!

Sincerely,

Jay
by artakamoose » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:48 pm
You'll want to do this on your router. Search for "block roblox on router." You can swap "router" for your router model if you like. If your current router isn't capable of this, you'll need to get one that is. I've read good things about the parental features in the Synology and Firewalla routers.
by jbainsf » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:10 pm
Thanks so much!. We're using a good ole' Airport Time Capsule connected to the Sonic fiber modem.

The Airport Timecapsule has great device controls such as time limits for his laptop, etc but I don't recall a LAN-wide block on specific domains. That said, I will research per your advice! It may be time to upgrade the router, although this one has been working fine otherwise so far.
by jbainsf » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:16 pm
For the person who responded to me, and to any other parents out there whose kids seem to have gained hacker level "l33t" skills, here is one option: OpenDNS which has a free service for consumers:

https://signup.opendns.com/homefree/

I'm going to try this tonight. I hope this doesn't require any changes to the sonic account or fiber modem.
by artakamoose » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:05 pm
FYI, the last firmware (and security) update for Airports was in July 2019, and it's a safe be they'll probably never be updated again since they're end-of-life.
by spencernash » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:21 pm
OpenDNS is good but if you set it up on your router, your kid can change the local DNS settings on their local computer to bypass it. And so the cat and mouse game will begin.

On the plus side, you might be starting their journey to a network engineering or Infosec job...
by js9erfan » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:39 am
Some solutions here: viewtopic.php?t=16662
7 posts Page 1 of 1