Will Sonic reuse any parts of existing fiber install from another provider?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by oddhack » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:39 am
I have AT&T Fiber and they were (to my surprise) able to run their fiber around the back of the house to enter my office. Assuming Sonic eventually reaches my neighborhood and I were to move over, would you do the same thing? I suppose (?) you would not steal / repurpose AT&T's outside fiber on the property, but reusing the entry point and inside jack would be sensible.

If not, there's no way I could shift back to Sonic, because going from an actual 1.2 Gb up/down on a hardwired connection to... whatever I might be able to achieve with a few hundred bucks in wireless mesh routers across 3 rooms in a weird geometry... would be a huge regression.
by dane » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:03 am
While sometimes the other carrier has stolen our drop or entry cables, no, we would run our own. If that’s a routing around the building that they accomplished, we can likely do the same.

What we can do with your permission is cut and remove an unused cable that enters the building to use the hole. This is sometimes done with old coax cables for example. It is also sometimes possible to fit two cables into a preexisting entry hole into the home.

Your installer will be able to collaborate with you to find the ideal route, point of entry and optical network terminal location.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by oddhack » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:10 am
dane wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:03 am While sometimes the other carrier has stolen our drop or entry cables, no, we would run our own. If that’s a routing around the building that they accomplished, we can likely do the same.

What we can do with your permission is cut and remove an unused cable that enters the building to use the hole. This is sometimes done with old coax cables for example. It is also sometimes possible to fit two cables into a preexisting entry hole into the home.

Your installer will be able to collaborate with you to find the ideal route, point of entry and optical network terminal location.
When I asked about this last year, I was told that the installer would use only the closest entry in the house to the cable drop. Thus the question.
by brandonc » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:50 am
oddhack wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:10 am
dane wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:03 am While sometimes the other carrier has stolen our drop or entry cables, no, we would run our own. If that’s a routing around the building that they accomplished, we can likely do the same.

When I asked about this last year, I was told that the installer would use only the closest entry in the house to the cable drop. Thus the question.
We try our best to locate the least intrusive path for each home. If there are already pre-existing holes that we use to bring our cables in, then we prefer to do that instead of drilling additional unnecessary holes. If it's not possible to do that for whatever reason, our installer on-site will discuss all of the other alternative routes they think are possible, so that you can still choose what you'd most prefer for your home.

In most cases we can do the former, the only thing that would prevent that is if the Comcast/AT&T cable present there is still going to be used and we cannot cut/remove it as the customer still needs it and if the existing holes are not wide enough for us to fit are cable alongside it.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by robquiett » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:31 am
oddhack wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:10 am

Our Field Service technicians should always be working with the customer to come up with the best possible solution that fits their needs. We tend to not reuse ATT cables as they are of unknown quality. We do try to use the preexisting holes but that is not always the best option and may require a new hole so we don't disrupt current services you may have. We also should be able to follow existing cable routes from other carriers to get the equipment where it best serves your home.

If you have specific requests for where you would like us to route the cable and equipment when we are on site, please make sure to let our tech know.
5 posts Page 1 of 1