AT&T's proposal to be relieved of COLR obligation and its effect on Sonic customers

Fusion Voice service, features and help.
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by miltonkleim » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:23 pm
I just learned today that megacorp AT&T is asking CPUC for approval to be relieved of its obligation to be the "Carrier of Last Resort" (COLR) in many rural areas of California.

If this is granted, what will it mean for Sonic customers who rely on AT&T for that "last mile" of copper? Will we lose Voice and Data service via Fusion since AT&T will proverbially "pull the plug"?
by danzingone » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:38 pm
Yes, can someone from Sonic please explain the consequences of this for customers with Sonic phone and DSL, currently provided over ATT's copper wires?

Will Frontier (with its poorly-rated customer service) take over our service?

Will we need to convert to VOIP and FTTN if Sonic's optical fiber isn't available at our location? I read in ATT's filing that they plan to discontinue VOIP at a later date.

Thank you.
by dane » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 pm
No, an incumbent’s offering of local voice services would have no bearing on the copper loops leased by Sonic upon which we provision data and voice using our own equipment.

But the FCC forbearance decision has and will. In late 2020, the Pai FCC decided to set aside access to copper loops by new competitive carriers such as Sonic. And we are partway into the transition period for that now. This is why we cannot obtain new UNE loops. And there are further cost increases coming soon too as a result, this February, and when we reach February of 2025, it becomes completely deregulated and we cannot determine what will happen.

If I were to guess though, I’d expect further moderate price increases on an annual basis, rather than just pulling the rug out from under consumers. Particularly with home voice and 911 service, but also broadband, it wouldn’t be a good look for an incumbent to just cut everyone off.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by miltonkleim » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:15 pm
dane wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 pm No, an incumbent’s offering of local voice services would have no bearing on the copper loops leased by Sonic upon which we provision data and voice using our own equipment.

But the FCC forbearance decision has and will. In late 2020, the Pai FCC decided to set aside access to copper loops by new competitive carriers such as Sonic. And we are partway into the transition period for that now. This is why we cannot obtain new UNE loops. And there are further cost increases coming soon too as a result, this February, and when we reach February of 2025, it becomes completely deregulated and we cannot determine what will happen.

If I were to guess though, I’d expect further moderate price increases on an annual basis, rather than just pulling the rug out from under consumers. Particularly with home voice and 911 service, but also broadband, it wouldn’t be a good look for an incumbent to just cut everyone off.
Thank you for your reply!
by boldlygo » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:15 pm
I received the same communication recently from ATT and have been concerned about my FTTN service. I've been waiting (and waiting - I've been a customer for +20 years) for fiber to come to my Cambrian Park neighborhood in San Jose.

I understand downtown San Jose - just 6 miles away - has fiber. When can we expect it in this neighborhood? That would address the FTTN issue. Thanks!
by ken_brashear » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:48 pm
San Jose's Cambrian Park seems like a relatively easy place to offer Sonic. Most of the power lines, like Downtown San Jose, are above ground. I do not know if Sonic makes a distinction or does it really matter when it comes to offering new service in and area that is incorporated and unincorporated. Parts of Cambrian Park remain unincorporated.
6 posts Page 1 of 1