New 10 gbps drop and install- any tips?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by codynunes » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:31 pm
I just got a date for my 10gbps install and my drop should be happening in the next couple of weeks. I am currently renting a unit in a Victorian triplex in Alameda.

Are there any tips or suggestions I should note for the installer? Hardware recommendations, drop details, etc?

Right now I have ATT Fiber (Sonic Fusion) and plan on having the Sonic ONT installed right next to the ATT ONT.
by agentllc » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:50 pm
I just got 10G service.

The hardware i picked up is Ubiquiti Dream Machine - Special Edition (UDM-SE) with a Ubiquiti UACC-CM-RJ45-MG 10GG SFP+ to 10/5/2.5GbE plug in the the top SFP+ port that I assigned as WAN from the 10GbaseT port from the Sonic ONT with a CAT 6A shielded cable. I think the max download i was able to get was 8Gbps and 5Gbps upload.

Alternative hardware that i was considering...
  • TP-Link Omada ER8411 Router x 1
  • TP Link 10G BASE-T RJ45 SFP+ Module (TL-SM5310-T) x 2 ( one for the SONIC ONT for WAN, one for converting the other SFP+ port into a 10GbE port you can hook up a Cat6/6a network cable (copper) to your desktop's 10GbE port)
  • PCI-Express - 10GbE network card or PCI-Express with a SFP+ port + another Rj45 SRP+ module

Eventually, thinking of adding a 10GbE Switch to expand more 10Gbe ports.

This is definitely stepping into prosumer world, I'm just using a wireless router serving as an Access Point for now. My desktop has a built in 2.5GbE so i'm attached directly to the 2.5GbE wan/lan port on the UDM-SE.

Pacing myself on these upgrades :D
by codynunes » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:54 pm
Wow! Thanks for the heads up. I have all consumer level hardware for now, but this is something to think about.
3 posts Page 1 of 1