New to sonic, where does the service generally enter the house?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by deraps » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:42 am
I just got the email that Sonic is live in my area and got an install date.

Is there a standard location in a house that they install the equipment, or do they put it where you want it?

(This is a one story, single family home with a garage)
by tarzxf » Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:17 pm
Through an exterior wall near an outlet, usually. Outlet is for the ONT to connect to power.
by ngufra » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:49 pm
I had them run the fiber into the basement then to where i wanted where my router and swtich are.
by jerrielm » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:25 am
deraps wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:42 am I just got the email that Sonic is live in my area and got an install date.

Is there a standard location in a house that they install the equipment, or do they put it where you want it?

(This is a one story, single family home with a garage)

Hello! I would say the living room would be the best place to install this service. Along the side of your house coming in. The garage might be a good place as it's kind out of the way, but you might run into WiFi issues if you are not using the Eero 6s. Our installer will work with you to install the service the way that you like. I hope this was helpful!

Best Wishes!
by daniel15 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:21 am
I don't have a basement but I did ask Sonic to install the ONT into my server closet and they were happy to do that. I much prefer that so that all my networking equipment is hidden in a closet (I'm using ceiling-mounted wifi access points, so wifi connectivity isn't an issue). The fiber runs from the street to near my roof, down the side of the house, along the side of the house to an opening, into the crawlspace under the house, then up into the closet.

Note that the installers do NOT wall fish - they'll only either go directly through an exterior wall to the outside, or through the floor (if you have a crawlspace or attic under the area you want it installed). They may be able to run the fiber through a wall if you drill a hole yourself and provide your own pull line through it that they can tie the fiber line to and pull it up with.

I ran Cat6 cable to most rooms though. If your house is not wired for Ethernet, you might just want the Sonic ONT to be installed in a living room or something similar.
by deraps » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:30 pm
I'm going to run cat6 to various rooms in the near future, so will see if I can have the installer just drop it in the garage. Eventually I'll mount a wall rack for the switch, router, and patch panel.
6 posts Page 1 of 1