NordVPN and Email Only

General discussions and other topics.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by jcw76 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:55 pm
Greetings

I have an email only account (lived in the Bay area for 25 years, then moved to Nevada), ISP is ATT Fiber and access is POP3. I use Thunderbird to access the email. I just installed NordVPN and downloading and sending email is not transparent. I have to turn off Web protection for it to download email. Tried the split tunnel and designated Thunderbird not to use the VPN, but that did not work. Only using US servers. I might be able to live with this, but others in the house will not.
As anyone configured a third party VPN to work in the above environment.

Thanks
by virtualmike » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:57 pm
Which port are you using to retrieve POP3 mail? I access my mail via IMAP, but I use the secure port, and I have no issue when I'm using a different VPN. Perhaps Nord is blocking the POP3 port?
by js9erfan » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:34 am
I ran into this issue a few years ago while testing out PIA and Nord. In my case though I could download Sonic email but couldn't send (I assumed the vpn ip was blacklisted). I created a rule in pfSense where any traffic hitting ports 465 & 587 would route over my isp (Comcast) instead of the vpn. Problem solved so I didn't bother looking into it any further.
by jcwhitsett » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:14 pm
after a lot of testing it is definitely NordVPN and their Web protection. Both of those have to be off or nothing happens. No inbound or outbound mail. So next stop will be NordVPN support. If I learn anything I will update this. Thanks for the help
4 posts Page 1 of 1