Arris NVG599 dying and/or ATT changing things?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by nathrak » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:04 pm
I've been having performance problems with my Sonic.net repackaged U-verse. I know this is a discontinued service I'm just grandfathered in so I hope it's not dying completely :)

General Performance before(7 years now pretty steady): 15.5Mbps down and 0.9Mbs up, wired or wifi didn't really change.

Lately the Wifi performance which has become completely unusable, past week or so, unless you are withing the same room as the router. Even in the room it's much slower than a wired connection. In room on wifi from about 7 feet away was anywhere between 3.6-10Mbps down, one room away it might be 0.6-3Mbps. Often it will be <1Mbps and just unusable. Router hasn't moved and no other devices have come into the household to make interference. In room the connection status will show 144/144Mbps but not approach that, 20 feet away through one doorway it will say 5500/11000Kbps down/up but also fail to perform at that. Tried with a laptop and phone.

It has happened a few times previous this year and reconnecting or restarting/factor resetting the router seemed to fix it but nothing helps now.

The NVG599 status says 5ghz is disabled and nothing I've found on the internet has been able to get it working. I'm not sure if it ever worked but I never saw it being anything but disabled. System logs are full of errors like "2023-12-14T18:36:24Z L3 sdb[796]: BCM11AC: Failed to bring-up the DUALRADIO interface. Re-try attempt 2..." then multiple errors a second as it tries 128 times to do..something or other. It also talks about Eth4 port going offline which is what I was using so I switched to Eth1, just noticed this. Might be the small interrupts in connection I noticed on my wired computer. The system log is so spammed with errors it's hard to keep up.

Link to a system log

The Sync Rates are what they've always been, and I think the other stats are typical too.
DSL Status
Line State Up
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 17995
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 1020
Downstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 23056
Upstream Max Attainable Rate (kbps) 1186
Modulation ADSL2+
Data Path Interleaved
Downstream Upstream
SN Margin (dB) 6.4 9.5
Line Attenuation (dB) 18.0 10.9
Output Power(dBm) 18.2 12.1
Errored Seconds 0 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
FEC Errors 3561 205
CRC Errors 0 0

The reason I wonder if ATT is changing things is I was using the Speed Test on the Diagnostics page of the NVG599 to confirm that it was the Wifi and that the DSL performance was fine as it tests from modem to internet instead of computer to internet. Now just within the past few days it says:
Speed Test

This function is not currently supported. Please visit http://www.speedtest.net/.
Now the wired performance has dropped in the past few days to 0.4Mbps upload, it starts at ~1Mbps the first second then falls to a steady 0.4. Download is still fine on speed tests but overall use performance has been much worse, streams buffer, pages load slowly. Might be upload saturating too easily which kinda kills it. I know anytime in general I try to upload it completely kills the connection for any other useage.

Just hoping to keep Sonic as much as I can even though it's not really here in this rural nowhere!
by brandonc » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:06 pm
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing connection issues lately. From all the information you provided (thank you for that), it does seem to point to the router starting to fail in regards to the WiFi. Looking at your account the router is ~7+ years old, so that sounds about right for a router to start kicking the can.

I would suggest giving our tech support team a call when you're available so that we can schedule an AT&T dispatch for you and if the router is indeed failing, then they should be able to swap it out with a newer model.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1