10g for other units but 1g for mine?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by jacklondoninternet » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:40 pm
Hi,

I live in a small building in Oakland where most of us have Sonic (4 units). 2 others units have 10g and mine is 1g.. We all pay the same price, I called in last year about this but nothing came of it.

When you use the availability tool (https://www.sonic.com/availability), other units have 10g, but when I put my unit it shows 1g. I don't understand how everyone else in the building has a 10g and mine is the basic fiber? I'm guessing this apartment was one of the first ones to get sonic when they only provided 1g but surely we can update this now?
by dane » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:51 pm
Have you checked the Member Tools to see if an upgrade is available? It’d be in the connections section of the menu.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jacklondoninternet » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:58 pm
Ah I just noticed that, but there looks to be a $300 charge to upgrade. Can that be waived?
by ngufra » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:50 am
Do you actually need 10 Gbps or is it just for for bragging rights?
Are your devices ready fo 10 Gbps?
by virtualmike » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:20 pm
Or FOMO?
by dane » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:34 pm
jacklondoninternet wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:58 pm Ah I just noticed that, but there looks to be a $300 charge to upgrade. Can that be waived?
No, I’m afraid not.

We considered two different approaches to this, one being a higher monthly fee, for example, $20 more a month for 10 Gb service than for one gigabyte service. Or a one-time cost to swap out the one gigabit equipment for 10 GB equipment, while the monthly fee remains the same That seemed like a more fair approach, because there aren’t really any higher ongoing costs of delivering faster service.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by jacklondoninternet » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 pm
I think the cost makes sense if its a house, but 2 other people in the building already have 10gig. Other than the Modem what else would need to be changed? Is that really worth $300? Can you ship it to me, I can swap it out too.

I think I'm just going to run a cable to my neighbor's apartment and split the cost with him + provide him with the hardware. I really do want the 10gig but kind of feels like getting a middle finger for being an early adopter of sonic.
Or FOMO?
I used to work for a major networking company and got to have some cool hardware that can handle the throughput. Recently laid off so paying $300 to upgrade my internet doesn't feel like a good idea when income isn't there. Maybe I'll reconsider in the future.
by ngufra » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:20 pm
jacklondoninternet wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 pm I think the cost makes sense if its a house, but 2 other people in the building already have 10gig. Other than the Modem what else would need to be changed? Is that really worth $300? Can you ship it to me, I can swap it out too.
Sonic may need to change the card at the central office to a 10 Gbps card.
by dane » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:44 pm
jacklondoninternet wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:09 pm I think the cost makes sense if its a house, but 2 other people in the building already have 10gig. Other than the Modem what else would need to be changed? Is that really worth $300? Can you ship it to me, I can swap it out too.

I think I'm just going to run a cable to my neighbor's apartment and split the cost with him + provide him with the hardware. I really do want the 10gig but kind of feels like getting a middle finger for being an early adopter of sonic.
Or FOMO?
I used to work for a major networking company and got to have some cool hardware that can handle the throughput. Recently laid off so paying $300 to upgrade my internet doesn't feel like a good idea when income isn't there. Maybe I'll reconsider in the future.
The one-time fee covers a portion of, but not all of, the cost of the new ONU in the CO and ONT in the home. I’m sorry that it’s not affordable at this time for you.

Sharing your neighbor’s connection would be a violation of the terms of service, which are that a connection is for use by a single household. Sharing or resale doesn’t present a sustainable business model for us, so we do not permit it.

Sorry I don’t have an easy fix right now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
9 posts Page 1 of 1