Got Fiber 10G But Not Thrilled About Speed.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
18 posts Page 1 of 2
by latreche34 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:49 pm
Okay, I'm glad that I finally got fiber into the house after years of waiting, The tech did a speed test at the modem and told me he got 7GB down and 4GB up, After he left I hooked up my laptop directly to the modem using a regular ethernet cable (an old cable but brand new), I was getting about 800MB up and about 800MB down, After hooking up a WiFi 6 router I was getting about 260MB down and about 180MB up.

What am I doing wrong? Am I using outdated cables?
by joeyyung911 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:45 pm
What devices do you have? Are they capable of getting more than 1Gb?
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by artakamoose » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:14 pm
Make sure that router isn't running QoS or something similar. Also, make sure you're using CAT 5e cables at a minimum.
by dane » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:30 pm
Does your laptop only have 1Gbps Ethernet? That’s commonly the case.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by latreche34 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:14 pm
Good points,
The laptop is probably limited to 1G ethernet, Router is Asus RT-AX58U and everything is default except setting up wifi password, I will try a more modern computer and get some new cables and report back.
by dane » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:43 pm
That’s just a 1Gbps router too.

Sonic will soon be offering a 10G router, that’d be worth checking out if you want to maximize speed. I’m sure we’ll see some forum posts here when that is shipping.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by latreche34 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:34 pm
If it is one time purchase I'm in, if it's monthly subscription I would rather buy a third party one.
by dane » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:54 pm
You can certainly DIY, but that wouldn’t be something we could support.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ryanflynn » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:14 am
Like others have said, it's likely your hardware. I had to spend about $1000 in equipment to actually take advantage of the full 10gb to the computer in my home office. (ubiquity 10gb router, and a 10gb card for my pc, wifi 6e wifi router with 2.5gb ethernet, and a couple of adapters,) Otherwise everything else gets between 500-1500 MBps depending on how modern it is.

On the wifi side, we needed to upgrade to wifi 6E, but only the devices that have a wifi 6e card take advantage of that. I.E the very newest iPhone and MacBook pro's purchased in the last 6 months. This is because they have wifi that can connect at the 6hz frequency, everything else is 5gz or 2.4ghz.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
by latreche34 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:04 pm
What WiFi router would you recommend for the newer WiFi technology? I need to upgrade anyway, I'm frustrated with the Asus RT-AX58U dropping WiFi constantly, I have a Laser printer, one TV, one door bell that I could never get to connect for more than few minutes and disconnect, I reset the router to factory and setup again, it works for few days then the problem returns. Other TVs, computers and laptops work fine on both 2.4 and 5 GHz, Weird.
18 posts Page 1 of 2