Wordpress 6.4 failed to install properly on automatic

Web hosting discussion, programming, and shared and dedicated servers.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by bnoble » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:07 pm
Hi,
My last automatic update failed to install 6.4. I tried to update several times with my dashboard, but no go.
Then I couldn't upload my blog post at bobseyes.net. Server error 500.
I did a manual install, deleted files and uploaded the new ones with Filezilla but it failed to update.
Now, I'm locked out and can't login to my dashboard and don't know what to do.
Help Please,
Thanks,
Bob
by seth.lohr » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:28 am
Hopefully this article I found might help: https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/what-to- ... wordpress/
by joemuller » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:12 am
Hi Bob,

I was able to get your site working on Wordpress 6.4 with a bit of manual work -- please see the email I just sent from support@sonic.net for details.

-- Joe M
I'm a proud employee of Sonic.net! :-)
by bnoble » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:14 pm
Hi Seth,
Well, I'd messed the site up too bad trying to fix it up so none of the fixes would work.
However, Joe says I need to get a new host with guys that can keep wordpressed fixed up. He did get the site going as best he could for me.
It looks to me like those guys are just what I need so I'll be working on getting my site transferred real soon.
Thanks,
Bob
by bnoble » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:36 pm
Hi Joe,
Thanks a great deal for getting my site fixed back up as best you could. After the upgrade failed, I tried to upgrade it again with the upgrade buttons as they advised and it just got worse. Then I used filezella to upgrade manually and I think I messed it up some more. But before I did that, I was able to download a backup before it got real messed up to my desktop which took all night as I have 18gigs on the site which I think was successful
. I then tried to delete the site, I renamed the Wordpress folder, Wordpressbad and started to put the desktop backup back and in the middle I realized I woulnd't have enough room on the site to copy the backup. So, I stopped the backup install and tried to delete the site again which seemed not to want to be deleted, but I worked on it and got it gone.

Then the weird thing was when I tried to remove the wordpressbad named folder, it just seemed to not want to be deleted and I had to really work on getting the folder out, deleting little piecies at a time, until it was all gone.

So, then I tried to put the backup back from my desktop which took a long time. It was all going good when I went to bed, but when I got up, there were 25,000 failed transfers to your server and that's when I had to give up. There seems to be too many things I don't understand about this stuff.
Anyway, I understand the problem and agree that I need to transfer the site to a host that supports Wordpress which I will start to do next week. The one Seth posted above seems like it might be a good one, so I'll be contacting them soon to get the process done. I'm hoping the backup copy on my desktop can be used to bail me out as far as my data goes.
I've been with you guys for a long time and I appeciate your service through the years.
Thanks for taking care of this for me,
Bob
Bobseyes.net
5 posts Page 1 of 1