Trouble sending email to yahoo via postfix

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by oddhack » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:58 am
I have postfix setup to relay through Sonic and this generally works fine, but tonight I started to get

"Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 554 Message not allowed - [PH01] Email not accepted for policy reasons. Please visit https://postmaster.yahooinc.com/error-code"

bounces from anything sent to an @yahoo.com address. Sending email to yahoo through webmail on sonic works. N.b. the link is completely useless, rewrites to a yahoo mail landing page.

Any thoughts on what's up? I'm guessing something DNS or SPF-related but without full headers from yahoo, can't diagnose much. Sending mail to a gmail address works fine and shows SPF passing on IP 64.142.111.50 (which is not the Sonic relayhost IP, but is in a Sonic block).
by syntaxsid1 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:13 am
Hello,

We're sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with this. Since the error code pertains to an issue with yahoo specifically, and especially if mail sends fine via webmail, you may want to investigate this through yahoo support channels so they can help you with this. Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to assist with this since it's not a issue directly with us. We hope you find a solution for this. Best of luck.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by oddhack » Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:29 am
syntaxsid1 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:13 am Hello,

We're sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with this. Since the error code pertains to an issue with yahoo specifically, and especially if mail sends fine via webmail, you may want to investigate this through yahoo support channels so they can help you with this. Unfortunately, we wouldn't be able to assist with this since it's not a issue directly with us. We hope you find a solution for this. Best of luck.
"Yahoo Support Channels"? I realize this is a boilerplate response, but it's so out of touch with reality, which is that there is zero "support" available from a site like yahoo, as to be pointless. I raised the issue in the forums specifically because I did not expect Sonic itself to be able to address the problem, but hoped to get some input from other customers who might be experiencing the same issue.
by fmc » Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:40 am
We have reached a point where you should be getting both SPF and DKIM sorted for your domain if you want to send mail to the "big" mail service providers. DMARC can be good to have too (it indicates a sort of interest on the part of the domain owner) but does not actually seem to do anything to authenticate the e-mail.

I have an own mail server not relaying through Sonic. Postfix these days, OpenDKIM milter to sign outgoing mail. Works OK except for one guy on Comcast who tells me my e-mail consistently goes in his spam/junk folder. Works OK for other Comcast addresses. I have explained to the one guy that he's Comcast's paying customer and maybe he could ask them to fix this for him, because while I am certain that they have a path to talk to their mail service operators it is for larger organizations than me, and I have a strong suspicion I am going in this guy's spam/junk folder because he's clicked something to train Comcast's filter to do that.
by virtualmike » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:09 pm
fmc wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:40 am...because he's clicked something to train Comcast's filter to do that.
In most cases, one can click on "not spam" or something similar to "untrain" the filter. If he's just reading the message in that folder or moving the message to the inbox without using the "not spam" function, the filter will continue to do hat it was trained.
by fmc » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:53 am
virtualmike wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:09 pm
fmc wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:40 am...because he's clicked something to train Comcast's filter to do that.
In most cases, one can click on "not spam" or something similar to "untrain" the filter. If he's just reading the message in that folder or moving the message to the inbox without using the "not spam" function, the filter will continue to do hat it was trained.
This would involve getting him to admit (even to himself) that He Did Something To Make This Happen. It's apparently easier for him to tell me that I need to send him e-mail from a different account (different domain, different mail server).

-Frank McConnell
by virtualmike » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:53 pm
fmc wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:53 amIt's apparently easier for him to tell me that I need to ...
Sounds like he's qualified to be a politician.
7 posts Page 1 of 1