Have AT&T FTTH in Alameda — can I switch to Sonic?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by ductapemaster » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:29 am
Hello! I currently use AT&T as my ISP in the Alameda area and have a fiber ONT in my home. I know you are building out a network in Alameda, but I have read that it may be possible to switch over to Sonic given I already have the fiber installed. Is that a possibility, or do I need to wait for the network "build out" before I switch?
by brandonc » Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:51 pm
ductapemaster wrote:Hello! I currently use AT&T as my ISP in the Alameda area and have a fiber ONT in my home. I know you are building out a network in Alameda, but I have read that it may be possible to switch over to Sonic given I already have the fiber installed. Is that a possibility, or do I need to wait for the network "build out" before I switch?
Hi there,

This isn't possible as our Sonic Fiber uses different infrastructure (Sonic Fiber lines, Sonic equipment, etc.) and we cannot/are not authorized to repurpose another company's infrastructure for our service, so you will need to wait for our network to be completed in your area before we can provide your home service.

However, when it is finished and we come out for the installation, we can most likely follow the same cable route AT&T used and install everything in the same area where your AT&T ONT is currently located.

I hope that we can finish our expansion into your neighborhood soon!

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by ductapemaster » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:39 am
Sounds good, thanks for clearing that up for me! I had heard you were using AT&T's fiber somewhere — good to know that is not the case.
by brandonc » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:03 am
ductapemaster wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:39 am Sounds good, thanks for clearing that up for me! I had heard you were using AT&T's fiber somewhere — good to know that is not the case.
Yeah of course, no problem at all.

We were an AT&T reseller for many years, but ended our business relationship with them in March of this year due to various factors (Costs to lease the infrastructure, outages not being resolved quickly, poor communication, policies we didn't fully agree with, etc.) and we finally had reached a point where we had expanded our own infrastructure to enough areas to stand on our own two feet. We still have customers who were grandfathered in on resold AT&T service until we eventually expand our Fiber to their areas as well, so that might be where the confusion stems from. However, all new customers/orders are only for our Sonic owned Fiber Optic services now.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1