Changing IP address

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by drake1000 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:29 pm
Hello, how do I change the IP address. I have a dynamic one but it hasn't changed in over a week now. How do I force a new IP address through Member Tools or something else? Thanks!
by syntaxsid1 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:18 am
Hello,

While we do provide dynamic IP addresses, the lease for those addresses are somewhat persistent (due to how DHPC works (edited -dj). The IP address might change if the service is interrupted for more than 10-15 mins. This may require you to unplug your modem/router for an extended period of time in order to potentially be issued a new/different IP address. There is no real way to do this manually otherwise. Using a VPN will also automatically change your IP address if you would like to do that. All accounts have access to our VPN. If you would like to know more about this, check out https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/article ... PN-Service. I hope this information helps. Take care.

Jeff - CES
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by dane » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:33 am
Why would you want your IP to change?

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by drake1000 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:03 pm
I'd like for it to change to prevent ddosers. Thanks!
by joeyyung911 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:11 pm
Have you been getting DDos'ed?
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by dane » Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:18 pm
drake1000 wrote:I'd like for it to change to prevent ddosers. Thanks!
If you are getting attacked and your IP changes, someone else will get your IP and they’ll get attacked. Maybe don’t do things that cause people to attack you!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by majortom » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:35 pm
dane wrote:Maybe don’t do things that cause people to attack you!
Wow, is that really your answer? In your world view the only reason a person might be subject to a DDoS attack is some negative action by them?

My opinion of your company continues to rise.
7 posts Page 1 of 1