Not close to rated speeds - New San Jose Install

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by davey408 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:21 pm
We got 10g fiber installed this past Saturday and I have been trying to troubleshoot the line since then.

The best speeds I have hit have been just below 2000 download/3800 upload. I have done the following:

*All the tests I have run have been from the Ookla Speed test app while connected to the Sonic.net server or Next Level Networks server.
*I have tried a total of three different 10g network cards and they all came back with similar results. The current card I have installed is an Intel x540 chipset card
*using 6a Ethernet cable (tried different ones)
*running Windows 10, all with updated drivers
*all tests run while directly connected to ONT (Adtran SDX622v). I have power cycled the ONT multiple times and also manually reset it.

What else could be causing the bottleneck? I realize that I will never get the advertised speed (hence the “up to 10g speed” disclaimer), but I figured it would be higher than the 2g speeds I’ve been getting. I guess it should have been a red flag when the tech that installed the line wasn’t able to test the install because he forgot the cable for his adapter.

I am waiting for an Asus AXE GT16000 router to be delivered to see if anything changes but I don’t think it will improve it. Does a tech need to come out?
by joeyyung911 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:53 pm
- What's your CPU/MB?
- Which PCIE slot are you putting the NIC in?
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by davey408 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:25 am
The mb is an Asus Hero Maximus VII with an Intel i7 4770 running at 3.5ghz.

I originally installed the NIC in the x2 slot but later changed it to the primary x16 slot. However the fiber speed did not change.
by syntaxsid1 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:15 am
Hello,

We are sorry to hear about the trouble with your service. We don't see any trouble calls into our call center for this. since you are getting lower-than-expected speeds directly connected to the Fiber modem and have tried a fairly extensive Troubleshooting process with no "smoking gun", we suggest calling our support team. The fact that our technician wasn't able to test the speed before he left is definitely unusual. We may need to send another technician out to identify the problem if it's not your equipment/end devices. We look forward to your call so we can address this ASAP. Talk to you soon. Have a great day.

707-547-3400
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by tarzxf » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:30 pm
I had my service installed last week in DTSJ (Japantown area) and am still able to get a consistent 2.5GbE both ways (that's what my internal network can handle, I have no 10GbE endpoints yet). Neighbor was installed yesterday and the tech was able to get over 8Gb each way via thunderbolt 10Gbe adapter.
5 posts Page 1 of 1